4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2V horses

Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

Default 2V horses

OK, so I'm going to be coming home from the desert, and throwing a TON of parts at my car... new heads (Patriot Stage II), new cams, (VT Stage II blower), new intake (Hardball'r), new elbow, 75mm t/b, and the kicker, an SQ V-2. I already have some stuff, including a full exhaust (LM1s, MAC off-road H, and FRPP shorties - jet-hotted), a Diablo Predator, and some other minor stuff. SO, my question is, how much HP is my bottom end capable of taking before it grenades itself?
Should mention, the car's a 2004 GT 5-speed(almost forgot!).

BTW, for all you NPI guys, all my PI top-end stuff (heads, cam, intake) is for sale! PM me if you wanna talk turkey.
Edit: PI gear sale pending...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:34 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2V horses

400-450
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

400 is a safe bet, anything above that and you're holding the grenade in your hand instead of throwing it.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

From spending some time on this forum, I've heard TONS of bad stuff about patriot heads... You might want to think about checking out some other options...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

well, I look at who uses them... Livernois, CHP, DSS... so I'm kinda likin' those odds. It IS possible that these guys that have had such problems with them either 1) did them themselves and screwed them up, 2)took them to a chop-shop, and THEY screwed up the install, or 3)they got bad parts. All possibles...

We'll see... they ARE the cheapest heads out there... and the big boys use 'em. So, we'll just see.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSFenris

well, I look at who uses them... Livernois, CHP, DSS... so I'm kinda likin' those odds. It IS possible that these guys that have had such problems with them either 1) did them themselves and screwed them up, 2)took them to a chop-shop, and THEY screwed up the install, or 3)they got bad parts. All possibles...

We'll see... they ARE the cheapest heads out there... and the big boys use 'em. So, we'll just see.
many times... you get what you pay for... just keep that in mind =)
Old 09-09-2006, 07:49 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

DSS and CHP are not the "BIG BOYS" when it comes to modular engines and have poor reputations in the modular racing world....Livernois ports their own heads...
The problem with Patriot heads has nothing to do with who buys them and everything to do with poor assembly/machining. They take too much material out of the area before installing the valve guides thus making a poor fit and causing oil leakage. This happens far too often to be a mistake so it has to be blamed on poor craftmenship.
Stick to VT Engines/Modular Powerhouse/Steen Racing/Modular Performance/Fox Lake Racing if you want good parts and service.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

hmmm... you wanna pony up the extra $500 for the VT heads? Or the extra $700 for MPH heads? nah, me neither... I'll look, but I'm not real enthusiastic about paying a third more for what's basically the same part.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Your stock block is good for about 400ish hp and after that you are pushing your luck...
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

hmmm... you wanna pony up the extra $500 for the VT heads? Or the extra $700 for MPH heads? nah, me neither... I'll look, but I'm not real enthusiastic about paying a third more for what's basically the same part.
do a search on corral.net. You'll see why their so cheap.

People have to pay R&R labor 2 or 3 times because the heads flat out suck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2V horses