4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

intercooler.//

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Default intercooler.//

If i were to go with a kb 2.1l. would i be better off going with the intercooler right away or not? can i purchase it seperatley?

what are the advantages of the intercooler? disadvantages?

do vortechs(centris) have intercoolers?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: intercooler.//

Yes you can purchase the intercooler separately, but because of where it sits, you'll -almost- be completely removing the blower to install it, plus extra work. Get the intercooler right away if at all possible... not only will it save you time (and probably a little bit of cash) in the end, it'll be safer. Hot air discharge = VERY BAD!

Advantages? Cooler charged air from the blower, cooler air is more dense, which means more power, and also makes the fuel less likely to detonate, it not only gives you more power, it makes that power much more safe.
Disadvantages? Slight bit of extra work on the install, and extra cost... The benefits FAR FAR outweigh these two disadvantages.

Yes centrifugal blowers can have an intercooler, a base centrifugal is in the range of $3400, add an intercooler and you're looking at $4600... base KB is $3600, intercooled is $4800

99.9% of turbo kits today have an intercooler... you'd be very hard pressed to find one without, the charged air from a turbo is much hotter... different kind of blower, but it just shows that the coolers are very common, and in my mind, necessary.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Yes you can purchase the intercooler separately, but because of where it sits, you'll -almost- be completely removing the blower to install it, plus extra work. Get the intercooler right away if at all possible... not only will it save you time (and probably a little bit of cash) in the end, it'll be safer. Hot air discharge = VERY BAD!

Advantages? Cooler charged air from the blower, cooler air is more dense, which means more power, and also makes the fuel less likely to detonate, it not only gives you more power, it makes that power much more safe.
Disadvantages? Slight bit of extra work on the install, and extra cost... The benefits FAR FAR outweigh these two disadvantages.

Yes centrifugal blowers can have an intercooler, a base centrifugal is in the range of $3400, add an intercooler and you're looking at $4600... base KB is $3600, intercooled is $4800

99.9% of turbo kits today have an intercooler... you'd be very hard pressed to find one without, the charged air from a turbo is much hotter... different kind of blower, but it just shows that the coolers are very common, and in my mind, necessary.
You won't find a centri or KB kit thats anywhere near complete for 3600 or 3400 bucks. Most of the KB kits, even the entry level ones, I have seen are at least 5000 bucks or right there.

Intercooled is considerably more expensive.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

KB non-intercooled: $3899. I was a little off on price, but close. That's NEW from KB on their site, source:

http://kennebell.net/pricelist/SC-PRICELIST.pdf

Intercooled version $4999. I guess the prices went up $100 since they moved up the displacement of the blowers.

A Vortech V2-SQ kit can be found here for $3467.45, non-intercooled.

http://www.speedworx.com/Vortech-Sup...6-GT-p-51.html

Stop following me around trying to disprove me, there's proof in text there of what I'm saying.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

KB non-intercooled: $3899. I was a little off on price, but close. That's NEW from KB on their site, source:

Intercooled version $4999. I guess the prices went up $100 since they moved up the displacement of the blowers.

Stop following me around trying to disprove me, there's proof in text there of what I'm saying.
I just bought a v2-sq for $2939 shipped & complete.

I found a KB for sale near me for $3,300...but couldn't bring myself to do it. It is an intercooled system and will run 400 hp. Not sure I want to do that w/ my t-45. Tough to pass that **** up!!!! ****!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

so if i was running 9psi maybe less with no intercooler how bad is that? how about if it were only for a while?

and 20004.6 is ure vt-sq intercooled or not? how do you like it?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Strangely enough, the price of intercoolers has dropped significantly since the entire Tuner Population grew...

You could probably find a decent sized core, and custom make most of your piping for under $800, that would probably support up to 20psi worth of airflow efficiently.. Probably more..

JT
Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Now all you need off of the KB site is injectors, pump, plugs, filter, new IAT, MAF,(were you gonna run the stocker?) air filter and a custom tune (with a handheld/chip complete suicide to use the generic chip/tune from KB on a non forged 2v, not to mention no power) .....

Same thing on the vortech site. Comes with a fuel pump, but no mention of plugs, injectors, filter, IAT, MAF, air filter, tune (with handheld or chip) etc etc etc

All this little stuff adds up quick. I want to say the injectors alone are 250~ bucks? MAF is fairly expensive. Fuel pumps are 200+ etc etc etc Plus, find me a site you can acutally buy the KB from at that price. Thats the price they list, but I have never heard of anyone buying direct from KB website??

I am not following anyone around proving them wrong, but if you post something non realistic then I will point it out.

DVS-GT: My kit is non intercooled, comes from www.modularpowerhouse.com, look for the mongoose kits on their site. Comes with all the little stuff you need for install.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:38 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

I just bought a v2-sq for $2939 shipped & complete.

I found a KB for sale near me for $3,300...but couldn't bring myself to do it. It is an intercooled system and will run 400 hp. Not sure I want to do that w/ my t-45. Tough to pass that **** up!!!!
Once again, I h ave to assume it is either used or a tuner kit. And tuner kits don't have all the stuff you need.

You can try to peice it all together, but I can almost gaurentee you it will cost more in the long run.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

so if i was running 9psi maybe less with no intercooler how bad is that? how about if it were only for a while?

and 20004.6 is ure vt-sq intercooled or not? how do you like it?
you will be fine being non-i/c at that level. I still am not either, would get better power if i was. Want to get one at some point.