4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake

cai dond gain you mush if anything at all 1-5hp maybe
Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I bought the cheap ebay one. I think it ismade by BomZ.

Basically U get an aluminum pipe like the ones that come with the other CAI but with a smaller filter.
I already had a K&N on the stock pluming but with a C&L MAF

The cheap CAI came with a curved pipe wich I tought was too convoluted so I ended up with the stock air filter housing, K&N and used the aluminum pipe from the Bomz CAI
Old 09-10-2006, 11:59 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Save your money and spend it on something else. Cold air kits are worthless on 2V motors.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I think it comes to a matter of how much you spend on an intake and intake related stuff. Some prices are way too high for the amount of performance that the intakes bring.

Most will agree that a K&N filter is a good investment. Removing the sound dampening intake snorkel at the air box picks up a couple of HP too.

Personally, I felt a definite difference when I removed the above snorkel on my 88 and added a K&N.

My 98 was purchased used with a K$N already installed. Surprisingly taking off the stock round air box felt better even if the motor was picking up air from under the hood.

Oddly there seem to be little information out there of independent dyno testing of intakes
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

I would just get a K&N filter and remove the air silencer if you haven't already. Get the Cold Air Induction kit after you upgrade the throttlebody and plenum.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I agree with so10
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

removing the silencer, and popping on a K&N is actually a great idea considering that's what my friend did to his GT... whereas I got the BBK CAI, becuase it looks a lot better than the stock one... and becuase the CAI doesn't affect the HP much, i decided to just get it as a dress-up item.

I'd hate to jack the forum, but I have a CAI question. I am running mine into the fender right now... is it possible to remove the elbow, and run the filter right behing the headlight, and if it is, would it be worth it?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poobs

I think it comes to a matter of how much you spend on an intake and intake related stuff. Some prices are way too high for the amount of performance that the intakes bring.
+1 ebay intake

i highly see a huge difference between the ebay one and a 200 dollar one..if any, maybe 2-5rwhp?? and if so, justified to pay 150 bucks more? bah, with that money i can get my flows or half wey there to get a wet nos kit
Old 09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I have an ebay CAY, It is made by BOMZ. Not bad for $45.00 but the Air filter is kind of small.

I installed mine in pieces.... as follows

On a my 98 GT the only non stock intake items were the 80MM C&L MAF housing and the K&N filter with the rubber elbow removed.

After the above ( base line) I removed the round filter housing - I felt an improvemnt,

After the above I installed the polished pipe that came with the CAI. I felt an improvement.

There was no real difference between the small filter that comes with the CAI and my larger K&N filter.

After the above I installed the curved pipe that comes with the CAI so that the small filter would pick up air from inside the fender - no diference was felt.

After the above I spent a few days driving around with thermouples installed at various points under the hood to measure temperatures etc.

Here is the low down - A shorty type intake improves throtle response because the reduced weight/inertia and friction of the shorter column of air, ther may be another type of tuning going on there too due to the lenghnt of the intake.

IMO the best intakes out there for the 4.6 2V have the following characteristics.

A large diameter smooth rather straight pipe from the throtle body to an airbox mounted on the inner fender well. If the box is insulated in some way it is a good thing.

To answer the question about picking up air from the front of the engine compartment - I measured basically the same temp everywhere inder the hood when the car stops, Once the car starts moving it starts to drop. The problem is that off the line U want the cooles air posible for density and more torque.
To me, all air under the hood is roughly the sane density due to the turbulence. Only the temperatre seems to get lower toward the front and sides. So the front and side where the air stock air box are mounted are the best places for intake air as long as you don't have to create bends to get it.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Go with JLT, they look so awesome...

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake