4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

"Value" blower kits vs the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default "Value" blower kits vs the real deal

After the conversation on the "intercooler" post and some P.M.s with a unnamed member I thought I would mention a few things here I have been noticing about the "value" supercharger kits out there.

Lets take these two kits as an example:

3089 bucks with shipping:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...r=V4FL218-130S

3905 with shipping to my door (this is my kit, shipping varys by distance):

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...2cf4d593cb1770

So it looks like that superchargers online kit is a heck of a deal eh? Lets look a little closer:

First of all, the SCO kit comes with a V1-S vortech, not the newer V2 vortech

It also does not come with a new MAF, fuel filter, or sparkplugs.

It comes with 38 pound/hour injectors instead of the 42 lb/hr in the MPH kit.

The SCO kit comes with a walbro fuel pump. I dunno about you guys, but I have heard lots and lots of good things about the SVT focus pump, and lots and lots of bad things about the walbro one.

The SCO kit comes with PLASTIC piping from the blower to the t/b. The MPH kit comes with all metal tubing in this area. Maybe its just me, but plastic piping in my boost area does not sound like a good thing, espcially if I ever want to turn it up.

On top of all of this, the SCO kit comes with a "suicide" tune. In other words, if you really want to throw the shortblock out on the floor running a generic tune from a non mustang specific shop, this is the one for you.

The MPH kit comes with a custom tune on a SCT Xcal 2, so if the tune is slightly off (99.99 percent chance it won't be) you can adjust the fuel tables etc. There is simply no replacement for a mustang specific shop's tune on a blown 2v. I have gone thru this problem before, and trying to run generic tunes/no name shop tunes is one major headache. The handheld is also handy if you ever make any changes. I think we can all agree that handhelds > chips.

The MPH kit comes with a new IAT, which will be needed on a 01 1/2+ car, as you must relocate the IAT.

Add all of the cost of this up, and what have you saved? 100 bucks? 200? Is it really worth it, espcially with all the other stuff you get?

I know it sucks, but you are NOT going to plop 3K down on the table and walk away with any sort of a new supercharger kit (unless it says powerdyne on the side.... ewww) that is ready to drive out to your local strip or hangout.

Obviosly I am a bit bais towards MPH, but this applys to any of the well known mustang shops. They simply have more experence and more complete kits. In the end, the prices usually even themseleves out anyways, and you can be assured you have a good tune as well.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: "Value" blower kits vs the real deal

This guy is a ****ing psyco. He's just e-mailed me a 20 page dissertation on why I "made a big mistake" not buying my kit from modular powerhouse. I'm sure they do great things...just after much research I decided to go a different route.

To each his own bro.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:26 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

This guy is a ****ing psyco. He's just e-mailed me a 20 page dissertation on why I "made a big mistake" not buying my kit from modular powerhouse. I'm sure they do great things...just after much research I decided to go a different route.

To each his own bro.
Like I said, its not just MPH. Any reputable shop on the net that deals primarly with mustangs > a generic shop.

Please explain the whopping 80 dollar price difference being worth it for having a kit that supports less WHP and is less complete ....
Old 09-09-2006, 12:28 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

See, I told you...he's a ****ing psycho. HE WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

LOL
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Chill out dude, he's not harassing you. He's providing good information for all of us so we don't make a mistake when buying a supercharger and regret it. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Chill out dude, he's not harassing you. He's providing good information for all of us so we don't make a mistake when buying a supercharger and regret it. You get what you pay for.
Thats the entire point. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

there is absolutely nothing wrong with walbro bet ya money walbro makes the svt focus pump
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

there is absolutely nothing wrong with walbro bet ya money walbro makes the svt focus pump
I have just talked to like 3 or 4 people that have had the walbro give out on them, and never heard of anyone talking bad about the SVT pump.

It might be all BS, I dunno.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

no he's not....you just don't listen like the rest of the idiots on here..that are stuck in the magazine bench racer world....if i had that kind of info (which is very good btw) you gonna call me a psycho?....you noobies need to listen more,and ask questions...hell be a critique about it,but don't be an arrogant *** about it.

LOL
Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

no he's not....you just don't listen like the rest of the idiots on here..that are stuck in the magazine bench racer world....if i had that kind of info (which is very good btw) you gonna call me a psycho?....you noobies need to listen more,and ask questions...hell be a critique about it,but don't be an arrogant *** about it.

LOL
****ING THANK YOU!!! That's what I've been telling him for the past ****ing 2 hours!!!

Magazing reading posters!!! You don't need 42# injectors to run @ 350. I understand the benefits of tim's charger...I just chose another route after some investigating.

This site sucks for information, but is good for entertainment.

Quick Reply: "Value" blower kits vs the real deal