4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at the competion istead of FORD, suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Default Looking at the competion istead of FORD, suggestions welcome.

Well as you guys know Ive been lookin for an 01.5+ Gt for about 12,500 to 14,000.

Now I have been a die hard mustang fan but the 98 to 02 T/A WS6 is catching my eye more and more. They are more expensive and even harder to find in manual transmission with low miles that dont cost an arm and a leg.

I might be willing to wait a little longer and kick in the extra dogh for the T/A.

Or my other option was looking at a 99 Cobra, i really like the DOHC 32v power plant and it seams like this is the motor every1 wants or has.

It basically seams that every gt owner here loves there car to death and i cant blame you, they are very sexy, but how many times have you heard IVE spent thousands on boltons and still worrie every time is see that ram air hood or those ss badges. So at what point do you have to say if you cant beat em join em?

What is ur guys option on this subject, and yes i know this is a MUSTANG fourm but an honost opinion would be greatly appricatad.

Thanks,

-ken.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 AM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at the competion istead of FORD, suggestions welcome.

I would get the Cobra for the fact that yes, they are sexy and look 100x better.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

I love the look of the 99 and 01 cobras but the 01's are too expenisve so that leaves me with only the 1999 model year.

It is very hard to find 1 that has low miles and hasent been beaten to hell, beaucase it being a cobra most of the time means its someone play toy who only takes it out to romp on it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I like mustangs because their easy to mod...they don't respond well to mods...but look under the hood of a T/A or a Z-28 and try imagining how hard it is to get a cam in there.

I have been checking out the ls1 page lately and they say it costs them $9,000 to get cam's and headers.

Not sure if you want a fast car or just a good looking car w/ pep. Not sure how you feel about blowers either. I suggest if you want a fast car you buy the GM, or buy a mustang with a blower already on it. Lots of people are skeptical about buying an already SC'd car, but people don't put a blower on their car and turn around and sell it 2 months later, also most people who blowup their motors take off the S/C and sell it separately.

Just MO
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

I don't blame you for leaning towards the LS1's. If I had the money, I would too.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

put a carb'd 460 in the 99-04 and be done with it, fear the ss/slp/ws6 no more
Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 PM
CrazyDan
2nd Gear Member

get the Cobra[sm=bounceybounce.gif]its so bad @$$
Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

I like mustangs because their easy to mod...they don't respond well to mods...but look under the hood of a T/A or a Z-28 and try imagining how hard it is to get a cam in there.

I have been checking out the ls1 page lately and they say it costs them $9,000 to get cam's and headers.

Not sure if you want a fast car or just a good looking car w/ pep. Not sure how you feel about blowers either. I suggest if you want a fast car you buy the GM, or buy a mustang with a blower already on it. Lots of people are skeptical about buying an already SC'd car, but people don't put a blower on their car and turn around and sell it 2 months later, also most people who blowup their motors take off the S/C and sell it separately.

Just MO
WHAT? Try maybe $1000 for all the stuff you need and labor for a cam change. Plus working on them is no where near as bad/hard as it looks. I did my headers in 5 hours start to finish and can have the engine out in less than 3
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
ColdStang
2nd Gear Member

I am with ya buddy, I have already jumped the bridge and I am sellin my GT.
I am either doing an 04 Z06 or a 2001 viper.....I love my mustang, it is a great car with great rep, however there are soooooooo many of them I am kinda gettin tired of seeing them... I just want something that not everybody and there dog has. The market is a little over saturated. Oh well, I am still gonna visit this forum, tis a great site and great people on it.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

chicks love mustang drivers guys love ws6 ls1 i guess it depends if you like women looking at you or men??? unless your going to the drag strip and counting .01 of a second they are all the same speed in the real world, depends on the driver.....

Quick Reply: Looking at the competion istead of FORD, suggestions welcome.