4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L stroker questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6L stroker questions???

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: coptzr_steeda

targa 97 stroker is always the best way to go, i have never done a ford before, but i had a 500 cubic inch mopar done up last year, from always being a mopar fan stroking is always the best way to go. you will get alot more torque from a stroker engine. so yes it is worth it. thats good that you can do it all yourself, but i am on the road most of the year so that is why i would rather pay a shop to build my stuff for me, i don't have the time. i would rather drive my toy when i am at home.
ATTN: PEOPLE WHO ARE ANSWERING THIS THREAD BASED ON PUSHROD MOTORS........THE MOD MOTOR STROKER KITS ARE OVERRATED.
I feel better now...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 AM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

I partially agree with code, they are over rated but it does give you more torque. 97Targa you will be dissapointed if you think that your 97 will put 400hp to the rear wheels with no power adder. As for your mechanic skills you might want to have somebody help you because the work is quite extensive and by reading your posts i'm not sure you posses the skills to do it yourself. First off the P-51 wont go on your car, try the search option because I asked that question on here before. Second, putting a cobra motor in my car requires more than just buying the motor. You have to purchace the motor, the wiring harness, the transmission plus labor since I dont want to rewire my car myself so I would not have saved any money.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:35 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

No Way!!!! I'd be smokin' somethin really good if I expected to get 400 to the rear wheels. I really don't think I would get 400, but prettty close! Which I would be very pleased with. I just want enough power to keep me satisfied but still be streetable with reliability! As far as the P-51 intake, why won't it fit on my car?? It's for the 4.6L 2v's. I'm going to put on PI heads and change over the front accessories to match everything, so I'm confused why you think it won't fit. That's what it's made for. And as far as the porting...I'm totally confident in doing them.Now would they be as completely as efficient as an expert machinist?? Prob. not, but I'm guessing nothing that would even be noticable to you or I. I'm also going to do a 3-angle valve job which is very tidious, but so simple if you have the right machine, which I plan on using my drill press! The only reason I'm askin this stuff is because I've been out of the "game" for 5-6 years and just need some re-assurance on the specifics! I can build a motor in my sleep, but, I don't know the "BEST COMBO" for my modular motor!!! I think everyone out there that thinks the 2V motor is a complete ball-less wonder are all being contradictive. Every Mustang owner I talk to that has a newer 4.6 mod motor think they have the fastest car out there??????? I read in Fast Fords they did a Blower 2V and made 900rwhp!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:03 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97 5.0L

I partially agree with code, they are over rated but it does give you more torque. 97Targa you will be dissapointed if you think that your 97 will put 400hp to the rear wheels with no power adder. As for your mechanic skills you might want to have somebody help you because the work is quite extensive and by reading your posts i'm not sure you posses the skills to do it yourself. First off the P-51 wont go on your car, try the search option because I asked that question on here before. Second, putting a cobra motor in my car requires more than just buying the motor. You have to purchace the motor, the wiring harness, the transmission plus labor since I dont want to rewire my car myself so I would not have saved any money.
I Know you have to change your tranny and your driveshaft and your wiring harness as well as your computer to get a cobra motor in your car. I was sayining if you paid out $10k for your 2v, you coulda had someone do all that headache work for you for around the same price! Only if you bought used parts though! And who are you to tell me I don't possess the skills??? How do you know what I'm capable of? Just because I don't know the specifics on this or that because I don't spend every waking hour reading posts on what gives each car certain gains in HP, doesn't mean I can't build a motor! It's something a monkey could do!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

You will NEVER get 400rwhp from a N/A 4.6 2V, no matter how much $$$$ you spend.
+1

Completely and utterly impossible.

It might happen someday if they ever make a true aftermarket head, but even then it won't be anything close to streetable.

It is also a terrible idea to attempt to port and polish your own heads. The modular heads are very tempermental when it ocmes to porting. Unless you have a CNC machine in your garage and access to the cad file from VT or DSS forget about it, you will likely do more damage than good.

Also, strokers are nearly worthless on mod motors, espcially a n/a 2v 4.6L. The heads simply do not flow well enough to make big numbers, no matter how much displacement is sucking underneath em. The only real way to fix this problem is FI/nitrous.

Edit: If you only have about 3500 to spend you are far better off looking into supercharging. No matter how much labor etc you can save, most aftermarket shortblocks with all the goodies are in the 3000 range. Add a set of 600 dollar cams, 1300~ dollar heads (to get good worked ones with valves) and a 1300 dollar p-51 intake and you are way off budget, all for a mighty 320-330 WHP.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

I dont see 400 from a N/A 2V i dont car whats done to it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:39 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: 97 5.0L

I Know you have to change your tranny and your driveshaft and your wiring harness as well as your computer to get a cobra motor in your car. I was sayining if you paid out $10k for your 2v, you coulda had someone do all that headache work for you for around the same price! Only if you bought used parts though! And who are you to tell me I don't possess the skills??? How do you know what I'm capable of? Just because I don't know the specifics on this or that because I don't spend every waking hour reading posts on what gives each car certain gains in HP, doesn't mean I can't build a motor! It's something a monkey could do!
Whoa! calm down I'm not insulting you. I am simply saying that it is a quite extensive job and as you were on here asking questions about getting 400hp N/A out of your car just seemed like you were a rookie. So I appoligize for sounding rude. I consider myself to have a fair amount of mechanic skills but when it comes to the work you are talking about that is way to much for me, I would rather pay someone that has all the proper machines to do the work. As for the P-51 intake, I asked the people on this forum about if it would fit my car or not with the P&P heads they said that it would not. I cant really remember why they said it would not work that is why I told you to use the search option so you could read the thread yourself. Anyway good luck with your car and post how it does after the work.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:09 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

SO HERE IT IS!!!!!! I did a little research on the 400hp N/A set-up. You people are right about not getting the 400hp out of a stroker ONLY!!! That's why I was asking which is a better set-up! The stroker has a longer throw than the other motors, therefore giving it more torque! If I shorten up the rod length, go with flat top pistons long tube headers, 5-angle valve job, stock PI intake, P&P PI heads with crazy cams, I might be able to squeeze out high 300's definately 380! But It really wouldn't be streetable and that's what I'm goin for and I can't do the long tubes because my car is lowered, so looks like I'm selling my car if any one is interested email me! I'm gonna buy an old piece of **** old school car! LOL
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

The best way to make NA power with a modular is with a big bore not a stroker...very expensive.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

droptop...that line is exactly as said in sean hylands book...lol Is that coincidense or did you plagarise it?

Also in his book in the back it says '96-'03 GT 345hp@6000rpm/355ft.lbs@4700rpm with the use of shorties . Long tubes will add roughly 20-25hp!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 4.6L stroker questions???