4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

blew a spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

Default RE: blew a spark plug

grr this freakin sucks, i guess ill call around and see if i can find a place that will do the heli coil method.........
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

anyone tried doing the heli coil method themselves?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:36 AM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

i fixed my car today with the same prob, for $57.00. Buy the Heli-coil Save-a-thread kits, use the medium one, i bought a new boot, and spark plug too... Use the tapping tool that comes with the kit to re-tap. Apply alot of grease on the tool, and give it ust thre to four tuns on a ratchet. back out, clean off the tool, re apply grase, and repeat. Do it untill the tapping tool is freely spining. Then get the medium size helicoil, place a thin bead of marine silicone on it, (the blue one) and screw it into the new hole. Now it gets trickey. With the spark plug out, run the engine for 5-10 seconds to blow out any shavings. After that bolt in the new spark plug and you're done. The kit is 30 bucks and u can pickit up at your local auto parts store.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

this is making me change my mind about replacing spark plugs anytime soon
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: idcoocheimonster

i fixed my car today with the same prob, for $57.00. Buy the Heli-coil Save-a-thread kits, use the medium one, i bought a new boot, and spark plug too... Use the tapping tool that comes with the kit to re-tap. Apply alot of grease on the tool, and give it ust thre to four tuns on a ratchet. back out, clean off the tool, re apply grase, and repeat. Do it untill the tapping tool is freely spining. Then get the medium size helicoil, place a thin bead of marine silicone on it, (the blue one) and screw it into the new hole. Now it gets trickey. With the spark plug out, run the engine for 5-10 seconds to blow out any shavings. After that bolt in the new spark plug and you're done. The kit is 30 bucks and u can pickit up at your local auto parts store.
Doing a heli-coil can be very tricky in getting the proper depth for smooth performance. If you don't achieve the correct depth then you could be screwed and your car will not run right unless you keep gapping your spark plug or using spacers and do several tests. Also I would really reccomend going to the parts store and buy one of those pen magnets! Open it up and bend the end a little so you can get everywhere on top of the head for all loose shavings!!!! Then use the blow out method after that! I wouldn't apply too much oil when you do the heli-coil because oil tends to stick to the oit and not the magnet. Good Luck
Old 09-11-2006, 01:50 AM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Oh i already did mine today. Just giving him the heads up on what he's in for. I've been seeing alot of threads about this lately. Someone should do a write-up. I would, but at the same time i don't remember step by step.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

snow, there may be hope for you.look in 5.0 mustang & super fords november 2006 magazine page 24 ,the TAP OUT tool was made for this problem. thier web site is www.powerbuilttools.com. hope this helps. let me know. good luck.
ORIGINAL: snowborderz

On the way home last night, i heard a loud noise and then this really loud sound comin from under the enigne. After looking around, i found that the spark plug boot was loose, so i pulled it off, looked in the cylinder, and the plug was just sitting in there. Pulled it out, picked up a new plug, cause the threads on the plug looked stripped, and now the new plug isnt going in. I think the cylinder walls are stripped on the head, cause the plug just spins.....this freakin sucks, anyone know how much this is going to cost me? Anyone else have the same problem before, and maybe offer some advice...thanks

not sure if it matters, but i changed the plugs about a year and a half ago, had the intake manifold replaced in march
Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

ya im thinkin of tryin one of those set ups, just a little nervous about it, called around today, and the local dealership said they had to order new heads, new bolts, and all that crap, and they want about 3 grand....f them
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

I think I answered this on another site for you but again, you can use a Heli-coil, Keen-set or a Time-cert available at any good auto parts store. Follow the directions and you'll be fine. If your unsure of your self, any good repair shop can do it for you. I think the Tap out tool that has been mentioned is the one for repairing threads that are just a little cross threaded at the top, it goes in the hole, expands, and straightens the threads from the bottom up. Just a note, forget about the magnet thing to remove the shavings as they don't work very well on Aluminum, good luck.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I know a guy who had to get this done a year or so ago.

He went to a performance shop and approached a mechanic there to do this job for him on the side. (Most mechanics will do jobs after hours for extra cash....remember though...no warranty on a cash job).
The mechanic told him what he needed and came to his place one evening and did the heli coil job for much less $$ than the shop quoted.

97 Targa had a great tip for using a bent telescopic magnet to reach inside to get all the shavings. If you do not get all of them out you will have worse problems than a stripped plug hole.

You have lots of options so check them all out before jumping.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47197/3C653CF61C894C54AA5BC3D87DC04482.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47197/2D2979A11C964B9B9657F209D0959E05.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: blew a spark plug