4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Not impressed with new shelby.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Not impressed with new shelby.....

i would drive it if someone gave it to me
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

I would not buy an 05 or newer. I think they look like ****. WTF did they make the mufflers exposed fromt he back of the car for? And yet people line up in hordes to get one.

These are 450 hp at the flywheel? WTF is so impressive about that? You can put a blowe on an f-body and get better numbers than that, on a better looking car too (and that's not saying much for the shelby)

$65,000???

I think it's for the more money than brains club. I'm still waiting on their invitation.
The few shelbys I have seen dyno are making more than 450 horsepower to the tire. They are rated (underrated) from Ford at 500 horsepower to the flywheel.

Nobody runs a blower on a F-body with the stock bottom end. High compression and boost do not mix. This is why everyone refers to nitrous as "camaro stock"

Edit: Everyone can bitch all they want, but I think the new shelby (and new mustang in general) looks great. Nobody seems to remeber that everyone hated the way foxbodys look when they came out, and the SN-95, and the new edge cars...

Its the highest horsepower, fastest, best handling, highest potential on the stock engine mustang ever made. Stock for stock it will run away from any other production mustang on a dragstrip, and honestly the only stock mustang that has a chance on a road course is the last cobra R. Looks of course are only an opinion, but the shelby is the best looking mustang in my book since the late 60s.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is price. I am not paying 45k+ for a mustang, no matter how it looks/runs. But I am sure plenty of other people will.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

yea i heard there gonna make Shelby GTs which will be like the Hertz but for sale to the public and different colors, and they are 325hp i think.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

fyi.. it's not the Ford GT engine...

"While the 5.4-liter V-8 block, overhead cams and four valves per cylinder contribute significantly to horsepower capability of the GT500, adding a supercharger and intercooler are the icing on the cake. In fact, the configuration is similar to the Ford GT supercar, offering the right combination of classic Ford big-block power and modern technology. Using the Ford GT as a blueprint, SVT has given the GT500 more total horsepower than any factory Mustang in the car’s celebrated history: An SAE certified 500!" - www.svt.ford.com

From what i've heard speed shops around here say, is that it's easy to get to the 600rwhp mark or so, but things start to break... I like the S197 style (except for the rear of the car). 450rwhp + 4000+ lbs = not fast enough to spend more then 40k on. It's sad that it's a drivers race in most cases against the terminator.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I think they are overall a sweet car. However I do think they could have given it a much much more aggressive growl and rumble for the power you get and price you pay.

I feel sorry for that clutch the guy must be new to driving stick...
Old 09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

fyi.. it's not the Ford GT engine...

"While the 5.4-liter V-8 block, overhead cams and four valves per cylinder contribute significantly to horsepower capability of the GT500, adding a supercharger and intercooler are the icing on the cake. In fact, the configuration is similar to the Ford GT supercar, offering the right combination of classic Ford big-block power and modern technology. Using the Ford GT as a blueprint, SVT has given the GT500 more total horsepower than any factory Mustang in the car’s celebrated history: An SAE certified 500!" - www.svt.ford.com

From what i've heard speed shops around here say, is that it's easy to get to the 600rwhp mark or so, but things start to break... I like the S197 style (except for the rear of the car). 450rwhp + 4000+ lbs = not fast enough to spend more then 40k on. It's sad that it's a drivers race in most cases against the terminator.
I have a hard time buying that the new 5.4 is weaker than the old 4.6 in the 03/04 cobras.

Definatly not the same engine as a Ford GT though. But the lightnings have had the same basic setup for awhile making way more than 650+ to the tire.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I know the Terminators are able to get upwards of 25psi on the motors before failure with a good tune... The guy that told me this had a Shelby Cobra show up at his shop, when I went back there a few days after he originally told me this... also someone getting photo'ed in 5.0, and has people driving thier Stangs' in from GA just to have him work on it.. I trust his opinion, and what he says... It has something to do with the quality of the forged internals, and something about the crank. If I remembered exactly what it was, i'd say. That has also spread around this area about them... They're not good for making a lot of power without switching somethings out...

I'd rather get a 4.6 3v and put the 20k+ extra and do it the way I wanted... or put it into a Terminator.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

anyone read about the dude that won the best of show award in a car show and then wrecked the shelby gt-h? hilarious read.. it was in the 5.0 mag.. dude was the first to wreck a shelby tho=/ (only shelby i'd want is the eleanor remake).... <3[sm=smiley27.gif]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

Sounds like a mustang with Flow's to me.
+1. Yeah sounds like a 5.4 4v with flows would sound to me. I think you just have crappy pc speakers man.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:39 AM
JJones_86
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Sounds Like crap ..Looks like crap ... IMO. VERY DISSAPOINTED FORD

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...3701569366.htm
I smell jealousy...

Quick Reply: Not impressed with new shelby.....