4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Block or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:25 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Default New Block or Not?

Well,

If anyone has read my past 2 posts about the car, I seem to be blowing oil out the ***. I've talked to a couple speed shps that have worked on the car in the past and they seem to think it sounds like I burnt a pistion ring, especially when I take the oil fill cap off and it puffs out like a glade wisp air freshener, ok it puffs more often than that, kind of like a friggin volcano spewing. The estimate for the ring replace is somewhere between $1k-$2k and of course most of that is labor.

Anywho, the guy was saying that it's a great possibility that it'll happen again with the car being supercharged. I actually believe him. He's the kind of guy who's trust worthy and very knowledgable. I'm thinking about just going with a new block with the forged internals.

The big questions is what the hell do I get? I need help with that. I've been looking all over now and don't know what to do. But of course I've gotta find the friggin money now. I've got the PI Heads so I've got to find something that's just plug and play.

Will a new GT Short block with forged internals work?

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...rtblocks.shtml
Old 09-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Block or Not?

If you've got the money go for it. I would in your situation. Plus, you can then turn up the boost

But I've heard bad things about sean hyland. Go with DSS, VT or MPH (vt makes them for mph)

For the amount of cash you'll be spending, stay away from SHM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I'm not suggesting a block from Sean Hyland. I was just trying to establish a reference point.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

oh, my bad[sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

You only live once, might as well enjoy it. If you can scrape together the cash then it sounds like now is the perfect time to drop a new motor in. However, you should definately figure out your budget, motors are not cheap (4k+ for built motors) and labor is not cheap. You may end up spending 6-8 grand, which is hardly the 1-2 your looking at now.

Just fyi : http://www.vtengines.com/low_engines_shortblocks.htm

E.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Well going with forged internals has nothing to do with your rings!!! Just because your rods or pistons are forged doesn't make your rings any stronger!! Actually to do a ring replacement job is quite easy and anyone an do it, but the problem is the wlls of your block get worn just like your rings, they both wear out and I'm sure that they are worn out! I wouldn't spend 2K to get just your rings done, you mise well get a new motor! Now a forged motor will cost twice as much as a stock motor so just be-aware on that!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

So do you think I could do the piston ring myself at home? I've installed the sc, intake, valve covers, plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors. Do you think I could handle this? Hell with the intake off, the damn heads are right there, lol. Only thing I haven't dont before is remove the exhaust manifolds, or take the front cover off the engine to remove the chain for the cams. I know I don't have to remove the cams in the heads or anything there, just remove the entire head.

I don't know, I'm getting a headache thinking of all this and am at work right now with migranes, lol. So much for my last 4 car shows this year. I mean hey I can drive it, it just BLOWS oil, lol. A little embarassing with a nice blowing oil out the ***. People here at work thing I'm capable of doing it, as I'm sure I could, but it'd take my 10's as long to do it I'm sure. Hell I coul go home tonight and have it torn down to the heads within a couple hours.

I need more input please and thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Sucks dude. Depends on how much time you want to dedicate. I'd love to take an engine out and take it apart. I wouldn't know wtf I was doing...but winter is comming anyway and I'm sure your not going to be driving it in the snow. Sounds like the motor has to come out anyway. I'd start ripping that **** apart if I was you. Think this has anything to do w/ the sea foam?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

You know I actually wondered about the seafoam deal. Now I can't decide whether it helped or caused this problem, so I can't give Seafoam any good or bad rating. Who knows there. I'm thinking of getting with some of my car club members and seeing if they'll help me get the motor out. Good thing is, if it gets cold outside, I can use my newly installed propane heater in the garage. Yippee

Well as I was writing this, I was just approved for $10,000 through the bank, but I've got to use it to pay off a pay things which leaves me with about $4956.00 cash out. So what the hell can I achieve with that? Thanks for any input.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I had a bad experience with fuel injector cleaner. I used it my 1988 oldsd cutlass ciera & a week later 5 out of the 6 fuel injectors went. I guess it's real uncommon for all to go at once...usually they go one at a time. Ever since I've been hesitant to put anything in my engine but gasoline & oil.

Heated garages are teh ****! I've got a detached garage, could get 3 cars in there if I was so inclined. THe guy I bought the house from had put a separate furnace out there. It's got cable, high speed internet. Pretty much live out ther ein the winter. Too ****ing hot in the summer time though.

If I was in your position I'd go this route. Not necesarially this particular one...but usually you can find the short block on e-bay for $1,200 or so. And with winter comming you've got time to find one maybe close enough you could go and pick up/.

Quick Reply: New Block or Not?