4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are you getting gears installed and some good info

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Are you getting gears installed and some good info

eric do you have specific links to those tools. I plan on helping a bud install is and thought it would be great to have them.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:49 PM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

Good article. All I have ever heard is only go with FRPP gears. 700 dollars for gears install is outrageous (sp). It is a pain but not big of a pain, I think i paid 50 bucks in pizza and beer for the guys helping me.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

eric do you have specific links to those tools. I plan on helping a bud install is and thought it would be great to have them.
Bearing separator and puller, or hydraulic press
Dial caliper
Inch/pound torque wrench
Foot/pound torque wrench
1†dial indicator with magnetic base
Female Torx E-8 socket
Impact Wrench (optional)
½†breaker bar
12mm 12 point socket/combination wrench

this is the list from the article, BUT you dont need a press, kragen will rent the bearing puller (get both sizes large and small), you will need this to take the flange off and the bearing from the pinion, i used heat from a torch to "bang the old pinion out" and brought just two new pinion bearing from ford and reused the old resses, I did not want to worry about not pressing the resses to the right spot plus the old bearing a resses looked perfect. you heat the new bearing on a skillet and they will slide on, ebay will have the all the other "tools" you really need the e-8 female torx for the abs that i found at NAPA auto parts, and make sure you have a 12 12point socket very important for driveshaft removal, i did not have i inch pound wrench as i have worked on alot of bearings with boats, trailers and cars, and just tightened it till i felt very little drag, i have a foot pound wrench but locktite and some muscle and u can skip that tool also, the dail indicator with base and dial caliper are the most important and make the install fun you have to have a basic install kit with shims(ebay $60) or you will not get this right it comes with extra nuts and bolts, just do what i did and measure the run out and back lash of the stock gears so u have a referance of whats good and youll feel like you did a better job....
Old 09-14-2006, 06:21 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

well like i said in my other post, its not hard to install them, i did it in about 6-7 hours 2 weeks later and 300 miles not a peep from them all you need it $75 dollars in special tools, time, garage, and 1/2 a brain
That's not too bad. Did you have a lift or did you get under the car, or what? Also, how mechanically inclined are you? Between my friend and I, I'm sure we could handle it, just want to get an idea of what I'd be in for. Thanks bud.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:09 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

well like i said in my other post, its not hard to install them, i did it in about 6-7 hours 2 weeks later and 300 miles not a peep from them all you need it $75 dollars in special tools, time, garage, and 1/2 a brain
That's not too bad. Did you have a lift or did you get under the car, or what? Also, how mechanically inclined are you? Between my friend and I, I'm sure we could handle it, just want to get an idea of what I'd be in for. Thanks bud.
no lift just jack it way up and place stands on it, i had alot of room, its pretty easy, but i am very mechanically inclined, i change springs, timing belts, full stereo systems, car alarms with remote start, nav systems. but this was not that hard just follow the paper and you should be fine i did it by self and two heads are sometimes better than one....the two main points that sucked was the pinion would not come out and i basically destroyed the old one, and getting the old bearing off without the larger puller, i used heat and wedged the old one out. besides that it was easy and went smooth, i probally stuck the case in and out about 10 times to get the backlash right but all you do is measure the shims and move from the left to the right, just make sure that the new shims on both sides add up to the orginal shim thickness or both left and right and your good with the proper backlash, i measure .015 on the orignal and set it at .012.... that might sound confusing but you will see when you get to that point
Old 09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Thanks man, appreciat it. I may PM you in the future for some pointers when that time comes. I've done springs, my intake manifold, shifter, CAI, and a few other things on my car, so if you say it isn't that bad I feel that between my friend and I we will have no problem doing the intsall. Thanks again bud.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

Thanks man, appreciat it. I may PM you in the future for some pointers when that time comes. I've done springs, my intake manifold, shifter, CAI, and a few other things on my car, so if you say it isn't that bad I feel that between my friend and I we will have no problem doing the intsall. Thanks again bud.
yes i was scared to do it at first because sooo many say dont try it, but i figured if you really want it done rigtht you should do it yourself, the only place that would do it for a resonable price (if you think $400 for just install + gears + install kit is resonable) was 1 hour away and i feared if they did not set them right i would have to take another day off work and drive back 2 hours round trip and it would stress me out, but looking back i would do it again, and i am thinking i could bang it out in about 4hours now.... and pm me if you have any ?? i love the 4.10 but i must say to everyone who says 3.55 or 3.73 are a waste thats not true.... i am at 3000 rpm at 80mph, its sure fun to drive but it would get old if I had a long commute.....
Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I'm between 4.10s and 4.30s, but leaning towards the 4.30s. I don't do a whole lot of highway driving very often and the RPM difference on the Gear Calculator is very minimal. Also, I'm going to stay N/A and I would like to be a little different, and I think it would be a blast to drive either way. Thanks again for the advice and the link, it makes it seem do-able. I'll probably attempt this in a few months, and you may get a PM from me then for some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 AM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

good luck y email is ericdiver1@yahoo.com sometimes i dont go on these board for months because its the same questions over and over....
Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

hey man do you have any more pics of your car?? it looks sweet. and a pic of your center console with that guage thats in your aviator.

Quick Reply: Are you getting gears installed and some good info