4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Producing best handling w/least parts used

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default Producing best handling w/least parts used

Hi all,

I'm pretty much decided on engine mods and I want to start on suspension upgrades. I would like to concentrate on bang for buck components that give a good seat of the pants gain, without a wholesale swap of all thing front end. Heres what I have come up with so far

H&M sport springs for approx 2 in drop
Steeda X2 ball joints for better neg camber after drop.
caster camber plates
Steeda bumpsteer kit
front sway bar and bushing upgrade

Full lenght sub-frame connectors ( maximum motorsport)
Tower brace

rear lower c arms ( Urathane bushings)
rear sway upgrade
quad upgrade.

This is for a nice street/country road set up, not drag or road race. I put a road race suspension ( neg wedge camber kit, bumpsteer, full urathane bushings, yadda, yadda) in my 73 vert and it ride like a brick.

Any thoughts or comments please chime in gentlemen and ladies

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Producing best handling w/least parts used

I must know what C arms are? Sounds like a pretty decent set-up. Maybe throw some adjustable upper/lower control arms.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:33 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

For a back-roads handler, sounds like you have the formula pretty much figured out. Just remember to use the proper length sway bar links when you up grade the bars and drop the suspension. Might also want to consider a new rear bump stop with a 2 inch drop to maintain rear travel. A pan-hard bar is also a semi-cheap upgrade to the rear that will make a world of difference.

Just my .02 on an already well laid out plan.

[sm=shades.gif]
Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

C arm = control arm. Sorry about that. I was thinking just replacing the lower rear arms because I didn't want to tinker with the tops and cause a binding issue.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

GT_Bob,

Thanks for the input, I assume I should use shorter end links for the sway bars, but so far I have not seen different lenghts, if you have a source I would appreciate the vendor. Also can I use a panhard and still run tailpipes?

I am glad you guys think the plan is well laid out, I spent some research time before posting. I don't want to waste anyones time so I try to have my ducks in a row when I post.

Again Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I'm a fan of sub frames and panhard bar. I dropped 1" because I have to traverse dirt roads. I love my setup because it handles awesome but I don't get the jarring/squeaking ride of Urethane. (90% of handling woes on a Mustang are caused by misalignment of the rear with centerline of the body in hard cornering) read the piece abot panhard bars on the MMS website. I also installed the FRPP Bullitt suspension kit, struts, springs, sway bars, 1" drop- $350. For the money can't be beat. I lucked out on the panhard bar, got it new in box for $150, plus the suspension, $500 total, car is a handling monster that doesn't bottom out, yet still rides decently. BTW, I live in rural western Virginia.........Mountains R US!!!!! And they are fun in a Mustang!

john
Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

WOW that Bullit kit sounds like the ticket. I'm not glued to a 2" drop, if I can get a good deal like that 1" would be fine, plus I pbobably dont need caster camber plates or ball joints. still going bumpsteer.

Who did you go through for the Bullit Kit?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

panhard bar is a must !
Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I bought the setup from Blue Oval Industries here in VA. They list alot of stuff on E-bay. The killer on this kit is shipping, ($40.) I was able to pick it up at their store in Elkton, Va thus saving shipping. And, you are right, no CC plates, no bump-steer. Another cheap mod is urethane rack bushings, ($24) they really make the car steer quicker,and take about an 1/2 hour to install.

John
Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

And I STILL haven't heard anyone say anything about lightening up the car by ditching some of the sound deadening material?? Getting a lighter battery (defeats some of the purpose of minimal parts, but I had to throw it in), ditching the spare/carpeting? Back seat?? Speakers/CD if you care enough??

All of those variables put together make for a nasty car... Don't forget a good alignment..

JT

Quick Reply: Producing best handling w/least parts used