4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help

Hmm... That last post was pretty confusing, and I'm not even sure I understand what you're saying...

However... Yes, cars will generally stall the engine when it overheats. I don't know if it's in the ECU, but the thing is, if he's getting a bad signal from the Coolant Temp sensor, it would trick the ECU into thinking it's overheating, and apparently shut it down..

Using an off Octane of gas, it usually doesn't constitute an overheating situation... Using a lower octane on a car tuned for 93 usually causes pre-detonation/pinging. Although somewhat destructive to the engine, it usually won't cause it to overheat UNLESS it blows out the headgasket, and the car starts injesting coolant at a high volume..

When you changed your oil last, did you notice any moisture in the oil, characterized by a milky, cloudy color (similar to chocolate milk)??

If you coolant level is good, and you can definitively know that the Coolant temp sensor is good, then I would say that your Thermostat isn't working properly..

My bet is still on the sensor..

JT