4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.10s and DR's= slower time??!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:16 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Drag radial psi>??

1) you arent getting traction cuz of them which i think that is your problem
that would make sense, however his 60' DID improve...

it went from a 2.166 yo a respectable 2.054

my only other suggestion, though you kind of already tossed it aside with one of your comments earlier, is that youre shifting was HORRIBLE that run...but if you said everything felt normal, and youre shifting was just like usual, then im not sure what would have caused it
Old 09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

1) you arent getting traction cuz of them which i think that is your problem
that would make sense, however his 60' DID improve...

it went from a 2.166 yo a respectable 2.054

my only other suggestion, though you kind of already tossed it aside with one of your comments earlier, is that youre shifting was HORRIBLE that run...but if you said everything felt normal, and youre shifting was just like usual, then im not sure what would have caused it
well he prolly eased it off the line without spinning to get that 60 then after first gear he then powershifted into 2nd and spun and maybe spun when he powershifted into 3rd. do what somone else said before and shift quickly 1-2 and then powershift 2-3-4. atleast you got your 60 down which would problye be the hardest now you just got to work on after the 60.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

i have those nitto 555rs but in a 285 on an 18x9. its a sick tire.. wear them in for like a week.. they should hook really always..
maybe its the 410s.. they need a bigger.. tire? like over 315? mm on a 18x10 or so. APC do you suggest going with 373s over 410s if i were to s/c soon.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:23 PM
72MachOne99GT

well he prolly eased it off the line without spinning to get that 60 then after first gear he then powershifted into 2nd and spun and maybe spun when he powershifted into 3rd.
so you guys think maybe the spinning took place after the launch.. thats possible, though not nearly as commong as spinnign at the line..hmm, i guess maybe tath could explain the higher trap speed too....
Old 09-16-2006, 04:30 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

well he prolly eased it off the line without spinning to get that 60 then after first gear he then powershifted into 2nd and spun and maybe spun when he powershifted into 3rd.
so you guys think maybe the spinning took place after the launch.. thats possible, though not nearly as commong as spinnign at the line..hmm, i guess maybe tath could explain the higher trap speed too....

yea, look at his 60 footers.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:15 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

This isn't the first time I've heard of this either, and I had asked some friends on another forum about this...

For some reason, jumping to that short of a gear seems to drop Trap speed and even w/ speed shifting, you're still not spending as much time in a given gear, meaning more shifts...

Whether that's the absolute case, I don't know, but I have a hard time believing that your tires were the culprit, especially if your 60ft dropped...

What was the temperature at the track?? Did you hit the water box??

JT
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10s and DR's= slower time??!?

ORIGINAL: apc fo life

Hey... just took my car to the track last night for the first time after I put in the 4.10s. Before with 3.27's and 285 mastercrafts it ran a 13.7. Now with 4.10s and 275 Nitto Drag radials, the best I could get it to run was a 13.8... This was also with slow 2.054 60'

How much air should I run in the DR's they actually seemed to spin pretty bad, even after heating them up quite a bit.

Is it the tires or have 4.10s slowed my car down, this was at the same track with similar weather conditions, leaving the line @ about 3200. Even when the tires hooked I couldnt cut a good time... []My car is so unconsistant
It's definately a traction issue. I'm running the same times as I did with my stock gears because I'm spinnin harder now. The 4.10's should be getting you out of the hole like a maniac, but if you're spinning, you won't see the difference that they make. The first 60ft is seriously important if you don't have tons of power to spare.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
72MachOne99GT

For some reason, jumping to that short of a gear seems to drop Trap speed and even w/ speed shifting, you're still not spending as much time in a given gear, meaning more shifts...
thats not correct,, there is no way it can be

if anything, it should help trap speed,,,he's still in each gear the correct amount of time.. if anything, he'll pulling through them harder and thus achieving the gears max power at a quicker time, then, when he shifts to the next gear, he is already closer to the best point than he would be if he were still on a stock gear

im not saying that the idea im trying to say is wrong is your own independent idea, but based on that simple reasoning, nobody would benefit from a gear swap...

Old 09-16-2006, 08:11 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

did you have the rims on you car in the sig on when you ran the first time?? or did you have stock rims
Old 09-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattmoto441

did you have the rims on you car in the sig on when you ran the first time?? or did you have stock rims
Yes my first run was with the FR500's a few weeks earlier. I'm not sure what it is but i dont think the gears actuallly slowed me down. As far as just driving it.. It feels quicker, its right in your face off the line and 4th pulls alot harder.. I'm not so sure it was that bad of a traction issue either, because even with a 60' time I should have improved my time..

however... yes I did actually spin through 2nd somewhat... then bark thrid... and chrip 4th.... I would leave the 1/4 in 4th coming on the red hard...

who knows... its nothing to stress out over guys.. I know 4.10s and DR's dont make a car slower, its probably got more to do with me learning how to make use of the new set up My car is also unpredictable.. I have been to the track 4 times in this car.. the first time I came back with a 14.1.. the second time a 14.4 the third time a 13.7 and now a 13.8.

Quick Reply: 4.10s and DR's= slower time??!?