4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catted SLP Xpipe Installed... Story time for those who care

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 AM
ChrisZio04GT
1st Gear Member

Default Catted SLP Xpipe Installed... Story time for those who care

Once I figure out how to do sound clip I will post it on here.

Fast Summary

Pulled car in garage, Jacked the fronts up using the frame, used jack stands to hold up car about 3feet. Once car was jacked up I then PB Blasted all the bolts, I then took a large fan and placed it under the car so it would all cool down very nice.

We then took off the nuts on the manifold, all came off easy, then losen the bolts that connect to the catback so that we can move the xpipe around to get them o2 sensors. Need a long skinny flat head to help with the o2, Takes awhile to get it down to remove them but once you see how to do it you will be a pro. Got all o2s off and place the new xpipe on.

Connected the PS first, gasket went on nice, Then we moved to driver side, we had to file the holes a little bigger so the studs go threw the holes nice, everything else was easy connecting and all went on smooth.

Ok so started the car, really raspy and rattled, had exhaust leak at driver manifold and both cats, and the catback was hitting the frame where it goes over the axle, causing it to rattle.

So I went to work next day, told the master Mechanic at work my problem, he knew what to do,

So I pulled car in, racked it up, un losen all the bolts from manifold to axle.(This part took me atleast 45mins in my garage with floor jacks... Took 2 mins at the shop with a lift!!) He then put this muffler putty on all the clamps so it will all seal, I guess this stuff dries harder then concrete and last forever(pepboys gots it), Then we tighten the hell out of the nuts that connect the xpipe to manifold.

Next we tighted the cats, and where the xpipe meets the catback, all really lined up perfect.

When we looked at rear of the car, the catback tips was not lined up under the bumper at all so we took a big pry bar and bent the clamps a little, Lined up perfect!! not rubbing agianst the frame anymore!

Started the car, master tech took it around the parking lot...... My god it sounds amazing outside the car, and is not that much louder inside of the car, I am soooooo inlove with the Catted X and the SLP LM2!!! I took it around the parking lot atleast 10 times, had all the mechanics and store people outside listing to my car! Under 2k rpms she sounds so innocent, but once you hit 3k your like holy.... 4k holy **** 5k and above, people just turn there heads and say wow..

Overall was really fun to do, never did this kind of work before, so was really fun, took about 3 hours at my house to put the xpipe in, o2s are a pain to get out. What we did was actualy drop the xpipe down, my buddy was laying on the ground holding xpipe up while I was messing around with the sensors. All bolts came off easy, I have 04 so not to much rust, but I PB blasted all the bolts before we started.

$400 Slp Xpipe, $34 for Extentions $10 and a case of beer, all so worth it!

Hope this is some helpful information for some of you, others just a good read, Please email or PM me if you have any questions in the future,
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 04:30 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Catted SLP Xpipe Installed... Story time for those who care

Im glad it went pretty smoothly for you.. i have horror stories that include rounded nuts, ramps that dont grip garage floors, and multiple sockets that dissapear. Im glad you like it.. my stingers are starting to sound quiet, im looking into o/r x and h's.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Catted SLP Xpipe Installed... Story time for those who care

nice!