4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Idle is really high now....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Default Idle is really high now....

ALright so i parked my car for a couple days....everything was fine and dandy. I jump back in it today, and now it is idled really high, like over 1000 rpm's. And i don't know if it because it is that high, but sounds like the motor is sucking in air somewhere, but i can't find a leak or anything...I think it may be my CAI. Can you guys help, i can barely drive it, because its so high it tries to take off when i have the brake down. uuurrrgghhh.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Idle is really high now....

Stangchik,
I think you hit the nail on the head, remove and check your connections on the CAI especially after the MAF. The second and most probable culprit is the Idle air controller, it more than likely is gummed up. 4.6 L's use the intake tract as a source for clean air for PCV venting. When you shut off the engine, oil mist rises out ot the engine and collects in the tract as it cools, this oil eventually finds its way into the IAC where it collects, gums it up and makes it react slow. Remove it, clean it with carb cleaner, you should be good to go. It happens most frequently when temps outside drop and the car sits awhile.

John
Old 09-18-2006, 10:56 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

sounds good, you seem to give me the best advice, everytime i need help. THanks!

Hey also, my check coolant level light or whatever it is, is also on, and i can't figure that. Got any ideas for that?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

oh one more thing I forgot to mention. I just installed an IAC restrictor plate a couple of weeks ago. That made it idle lower, and kept the rpm's from hangin, I checked it, and it was fine, but do you think that could have made the IAC get clogged up faster?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangChik

sounds good, you seem to give me the best advice, everytime i need help. THanks!

Hey also, my check coolant level light or whatever it is, is also on, and i can't figure that. Got any ideas for that?
Not trying to make you sound dumb, but maybe check the coolant. Ifs its full it might just be a faulty sensor
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

com on, now, you guys know i am smarter than that....The coolant level is fine, and its not the coolant level sensor. That is made into the reservoir, and cannot be replaced. (unless you replace the whole unit) But that light can come on for a number of other cooling related problem...But that's just it i don't have any problems, but i need to fix that light before i can sell my car
Old 09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Mine used to come on when I got on the car really hard. Never found anything wrong. I just changed the coolant and it stopped coming on.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

hmmm, sounds about like mine, it goes on, then goes off for a while
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangChik

hmmm, sounds about like mine, it goes on, then goes off for a while
Belt slipping on the water pump pulley, causing it to not turn fast enough? GOt the belt properly routed?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

well unless it re-routed itself over the last 11 months, probably not

Quick Reply: Idle is really high now....