4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Full bolt ons they say...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default Full bolt ons they say...

Well I have just been reading peoples signature's here lately, it seems that alot of people use the term "full bolt on's"

What do we consider full bolt ons
? Well I believe there is no such thing as a full bolt on car, everything bolts on at one time or another. For example, if you buy a KB blower, does it not "bolt" on.

I'd actually say some of the faster cars out there have more "bolt off's" than bolt ons.

My car has an exhaust set up, front to back, headers, mid pipe, cat back. It has a cold air intake, suspension work, 4.10s, u know.. most of the easy pre supercharger stuff. But I don't consider it a "full bolt on car." Who's to say what bolt on's include, what about cams, nitrous?

Anyways, I just believe the term "full bolt on," is used when it shouldn't be. more than likely guys with signatures that say full bolt on, do not have all the typical bolt on mods, nor all the "bolt off" mods that can gain you tenths in the 1/4 mile as quick as bolt ons.

When people say they have a full bolt on car, more than likely they are like me, in that we can't afford to take the step off the edge for the supercharger. The term "full bolt ons" should really be"I can't afford a supercharger"
Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Full bolt ons they say...

are you bored at work? or did they block the internet ****?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've always considered a Bolt-on to be everything that keeps a car naturally aspirated. No2 and SC/TC are forced induction and fuel system enhancements so I keep those off the list.

Just my .02
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

are you bored at work? or did they block the internet ****?

it might be boath
Old 09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

haha.... just bored...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apc fo life

haha.... just bored...
i here ya
Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

well he might be bored but hes right
Old 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

I guess I consider ther to be two types of modifications. One are bolt ons, and the others are forced induction. I guess there are also suspension and visual mods, but power wise, I think the difference lies with NA or FI.

Matt
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Actually, 'full bolt on' is just a term for replacement. Think of it this way: Bolt ons are something you can unbolt the original part and bolt on the new part, without a tear down of other parts. IE: CAI - take off old intake tube, replace with new. same way with throttle body, plenum, all 3 exhaust components, etc
When you go to blower and nitrous, etc, you are adding to the motor, not replacing. Cams are arguable. They replace something, but require a major tear down to replace. Gears are the same as cams. Suspension could be in bolt ons, but as suspension bolt ons, not engine bolt ons.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

Actually, 'full bolt on' is just a term for replacement. Think of it this way: Bolt ons are something you can unbolt the original part and bolt on the new part, without a tear down of other parts. IE: CAI - take off old intake tube, replace with new. same way with throttle body, plenum, all 3 exhaust components, etc
When you go to blower and nitrous, etc, you are adding to the motor, not replacing. Cams are arguable. They replace something, but require a major tear down to replace. Gears are the same as cams. Suspension could be in bolt ons, but as suspension bolt ons, not engine bolt ons.
Pretty much agree with what he sayed. Full bolt ons to me usually consist of CAI, Full exhaust including headers, Throttle Body/Plenum, and probably gears. But I do agree that people should be more specific.

Quick Reply: Full bolt ons they say...