4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

Default Slotted rotors

I had my Cobra R (brembo) set up installed about 6 months ago which comes with 13inch slotted rotors. I was at a different shop this weekend and one of the guys that worked there said my rotors were installed backwards. That i should swap the left and right. He said that the slots should face a certain way for max performance. Kind of hard to explain, But if you look at the slots on the rotors the way they are installed, they are angled as a left to right incline. (basically the slots look like its uphill towards the rear of the car)

I hope this makes sense, but is there a certain way that the rotors slots should face?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Slotted rotors

Your setup is installed right. If one of the slots is at top dead center, it should look like this: \
I hope this helps:
Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

That does help. Thanks, and mine are actually installed backwards because they go the otherway. Stupid Dallas Mustang, what a bunch of morons. No wonder they have such a bad rap in Dallas. Do you think the discs could have been damaged running the wrong way for 6 months or so? Is there anyway to tell if discs are damaged or warped?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Warpage you'd know (steering wheel or brake pedal would shake every time you pressed on the brakes)

You probably didn't do any damage, just didn't get the full benefit of the slots (cooling) by having the in backwards. Just switch them around.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Mine are the same as Spederman's, but I'm almost 99% sure thats how the I Rotors suggested install. If your looking at the front/left wheel, it too is set up with a left to right incline.
These I Rotors have a Straight Van Disc, so from what I'm reading it doesn't matter?

Found This Article

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight
Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure: