4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 Stock rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 Stock rwhp

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

Here is the story.........My friend has a 2002 Pontiac GTP (3.8L V6 Supercharged). It has full exhaust, cold air, and a smaller blower pully and upgrade pcm. He runs a 14.10 in the 1/4 mile. He raced a 2000 Mustang GT with a 5 speed. The guy in the mustang claimed it was all stock....and he beat my friends GTP by 2 cars. I am pretty sure that a stock Mustang GT will not run a high 13 at 2800 feet above sea level.

That doesn't sound right to you guys does it? A Stock Mustang running a high 13 at 2800 feet about sea level on street tires? Or does that sound like a hustle session to me?
My personal opinion is that he got hustled......

I personally am thinking gears and nitrous?

ya no stock GTs running high13 or low 14s here and where at 2856 the best stock 99+ gt i have seen run was 14.4, so someone is pulling someones leg
Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

so lower altitudes (i.e. closer to sea level) and low humidity = better performance? Why does the altitude really affect performance? Does it have to do with pressure? What about BELOW sea level?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

I'd be interested on understanding how altitude doesn't affect a FI car. Have a quick explanation or any information I can look at?

Your buddy most likely got hustled pretty bad.

I posted a story in Street/Strip a couple months back about a LT1 with a couple mods & he hung on fairly well until we got out of 2nd gear and I would just pull away. I saw the car in the paper, claimed 400hp. Gave'em a call on my cell and sure enough he mentioned the ol 100 shot of nitrous/

http://www.answers.com/topic/supercharger

Supercharger

Air compressor or blower used in piston-type internal-combustion engines to increase the amount of air drawn into the cylinders by the movement of the pistons during each intake stroke. With the additional air, more fuel is burned, and the engine's power is increased. In aircraft engines, supercharging compensates for the reduced atmospheric pressure at high altitudes. Development of the gas turbine, which requires a constant flow of air and fuel, led to the turbosupercharger, a centrifugal blower driven by a small gas turbine powered by the exhaust gases from the engine cylinders.

Altitude effects

A supercharger remedies this problem by compressing the air back to sea-level pressures, or even much higher.

Regardless of the situation.....a force inducted car does not suffer the same affects that a N/A car will. As soon as you come under boost guess what.......^

You are a moderator so I am not trying to undermind you. I think my buddy got hustled...but in my mind I am like it is a good kill for a "stock" mustang.
to me it still says a FI car will be affected, or rather it doesn't say to the degree at which a supercharged engine will be affected. you should not assume that... "A supercharger remedies this problem by compressing the air back to sea-level pressures, or even much higher..." means that there is no effect. All that says is that a supercharger is a way of boosting the intake pressure so you can make more power than you otherwise would at higher elevations.

riddle yourself this, will a FI mustang making 400 rwhp at sea level make 400 rwhp at 5000 feet? If you think yes, that somehow a supercharger is able to increase its boost pressure over atmospheric pressure such that the total engine air charge is the same regardless of elevation, you are wrong, respectfully though.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

yea the only way a s/c car could not be affected the same as a n/a car is if some how it know u were changing altitiudes and the s/c compressed more air, think about it. at higher altitudes the air is not as dense there for there is less air to compress, and less air for a n/a car to suck it, but ur computer should compensate for that, that is what all of those nice oxygen sensors are for. its like the same thing as starting your car in different temps, the air is alot denser when it is cold, the moment u turn on ur car ur computer will see that and adjust the fuel injectors to keep the air fuel ratio where it should be
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I just got off the phone with my friend........

He told me that at sea level a FI car will make more hp then it will at 5000 feet. The air is more dense. Now dense the air, the more hp. There is an altitude correction for FI cars. However when the car comes under boost, higher altitude DOES NOT affect the car as much as it does to a N/A car. The blower compensates for the altitude change bringing it to sea level pressures and above.

I agree that altitude affects FI cars, but not to the level that it does to a N/A car.

If anything we learned that my boy got hustled and we learned about high altitude effects on FI cars.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

so ur saiyn that when u go to a higher altitude with a s/c engine that the s/c will somehow spin faster or something to compress more air, cuz i dont think thats true. I see what ur trying to say, but if ur trying to compress air that is less dense than what u were compressing b4, u will loose some compression, unless u make the s/c spin faster somehow.