4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 PM
00wGT

Default pulleys

i was just wondering if pulleys are bad for your car, i was told that by a few people??
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: pulleys

Well most people on the forums know what i think.... *puts flame suit on* ... I think they are a waste of money for the few hp you gain an the ultimate posibility of heating/charging problems... im probably in the minority, but it is my opinion...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
tweedie583

I think alu pulleys are the way to go. Every little bit helps right. I bought a set of BBK for my bros stang . He loves em
Old 09-21-2006, 09:32 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Pulleys don`t add that much. If you get a set, go with steedas. DO NOT GET BBK`s. They are piggyback. They will work but thay can cause crankshaft damage which means new engine.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Pulleys don`t add that much. If you get a set, go with steedas. DO NOT GET BBK`s. They are piggyback. They will work but thay can cause crankshaft damage which means new engine.
ok well the hell did you hear that?? that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard they wouldn't make pulleys if it was gonna make you engine go to ****. i have BBK and they are awesome. there is nothing wrong with the piggybacks. all that is a load of crap. i do now wish i did get the steeda because i would like to advance my timing and with pigybacks that is the only thing you can't do.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

ok well the hell did you hear that?? that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard they wouldn't make pulleys if it was gonna make you engine go to ****. i have BBK and they are awesome. there is nothing wrong with the piggybacks. all that is a load of crap. i do now wish i did get the steeda because i would like to advance my timing and with pigybacks that is the only thing you can't do.
Oh, ok. Ask anyone here about the BBK`s. They`ll say the same thing... THEY SUCK... [&:]
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

spend the extra and get steeda i dont know about crank damage but ive heard piggy back will cause vibration and not tiiming adjuster for me that is enough reason and bbk=$129
ive found steeda for $169 spend the extra 40
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

I can take or leave the UDP's. I don't think they gain you a whole lot but they're cheap, so what the heck. Does anyone have any documented proof that the BBK "piggy back" pulleys cause crank damage if installed properly? I would think if that were the case, BBK would pull their pulleys, (no pun intended), for fear of a class action law suit.

I tend to think of the UDP's as a CAI upgrade. Cheap, easy to do, might not gain a whole heck of a lot but every little bit counts on a NA 4.6.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

idk. i have heard they can add ne where from 3-7hp. where as a CAI will add like what, 2? i know its not a huge difference, but with the prices almost alike, i would just get pulleys.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00wGT

i was just wondering if pulleys are bad for your car, i was told that by a few people??
not at all they actually help reduce the drag on your engine by slowing down the accessories.

In theory they should make the engine last longer.

Quick Reply: pulleys