4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lack of power AHHH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: lack of power AHHH!

ORIGINAL: ackuric

i have a brand new belt, good tensioner, and pulley. same sound.

why would the drive belt SLIP during shifts? if he got that sound consistently under throttle, at higher rpms or under load, i would say it could be.

The belt is tooling around with the engine spinning 5,000+ RPMS and suddenly it drops down to whatever it falls @ with a sudden load again, that's how it could squeek.

Your noise could be a u-joint squeeking ackuric.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

like i said it doesnt happen when the tires spin. so that would eliminate the belt automatically. so if his problem is the same, he can eliminate that all together. i agree, it can definitely be a u-joint, sounds like its underneath the car, in the center.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

hahaha sorry but i can definately tell that was on hampton blvd.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Your title says lack of power and then you mention the squeel.
Please state when the lack of power and the squeel happen, together? You said you were using a tuner right? I got my SCT from Brenspeed and started to change some of the parameters and got a big power loss. Turns out Brent had already done the mods and I was adding shift firmness on top of what he did. When I did not modify the tune it got the power back. I would be most concerned about the loss of power and I believe the squeel will fix itself when you find out what is taking power like a frozen AC pulley. Mark
Old 09-24-2006, 05:12 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Your title says lack of power and then you mention the squeel.
Please state when the lack of power and the squeel happen, together? You said you were using a tuner right? I got my SCT from Brenspeed and started to change some of the parameters and got a big power loss. Turns out Brent had already done the mods and I was adding shift firmness on top of what he did. When I did not modify the tune it got the power back. I would be most concerned about the loss of power and I believe the squeel will fix itself when you find out what is taking power like a frozen AC pulley. Mark
When I get on it, you can feel that the car isn't pulling like usual as the tach climbs under WOT from a stop, or slow roll, and when I let off that is when the squeal happens... It sounds like a belt squeel but I cannot determine where its from becuase it only doesn't under load, not while sitting there revving it while it is parked.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Two things you can try are removing the tune for one and the other is to rev the motor by holding it in gear and shifting it manually. When I added to the SCT tune that Brenspeed had already done my car would not accellerate in drive much at all but if I shifted manually it was not bad. I was putting a tune on top of a tune. Is` it possible your car had a chip in the computer when you bought it? I'll check my book for automatic power loss and see if anything sounds familiar. mark
Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

thank you... I have yet to try shifting it manually but I don't have that much time/space to tinker around with it right now at school.... but next time I have her out, I'll try doing manual shifting.. although I've heard that it's bad for the tranny... is that true? As for the tune, and the possibility of there being a chip, there is no chip luckily, and the tune is just the generic diablosport tune, becuase I have yet to get it setup perfectly for my car... but it even did it when it was stock, so I don't think the tune effects it that much
Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

definetely the belt mine is doing the same exact thing. i replaced the belt and it stopped for awhile but once the belt is broken it it happens all over again, nothing you can do about it.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

manually shifting an auto is fine. 1-2-D is the best way to go if ur gonna manually shift. of course dont have it in drive going like 40 mph and then drop it into first as thatll fock up ur tranny. i heard our trannies have D-2-D shifts and its safe, but you shouldnt do it very often. i heard the vid and im not directly positive if it matters or not if me havin a v6 is way different, but my belt made a noise when i was driving it too and it always made a noise about where you did about 6 months ago, so i replaced my belt and once i did the noise totally went away. check your belts i think that could be it, or lemme know im right down the street from u lol.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Well you got the correct info on how to shift the tranny in the post above. Just shift up and no down shifting. Up shift by 4500rpm's and see if there is a power difference. Mark

Quick Reply: lack of power AHHH!