4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

turbo charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo charger

do u know why u think that...... or are u just putting that out there?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

There are many reasons. 1) The cost of a supercharger is cheaper than a turbo. 2) The supercharger makes more downlow power than a turbo, especially if you get a KB or root/twin screw type s/c. 3) You do not have boost leaks from a supercharger. 4) Lag from the turbo can be annoying. 5) You will be running very low PSI on a 2v with non-forged internals. And in my opinion, the supercharger sounds better than a turbo, especially a KB.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hdawg06

There are many reasons. 1) The cost of a supercharger is cheaper than a turbo. 2) The supercharger makes more downlow power than a turbo, especially if you get a KB or root/twin screw type s/c. 3) You do not have boost leaks from a supercharger. 4) Lag from the turbo can be annoying. 5) You will be running very low PSI on a 2v with non-forged internals. And in my opinion, the supercharger sounds better than a turbo, especially a KB.

alright, it may seem like im comin down on u, but im just trying to help. #1) ur right on there, SC is way cheaper 2) actually a TT setup (more money again) makes more torque (the down low u feel) than a supercharger will, also, roots style SCs are blowers, they are inneficient. however centrifugals and twin screws have internal compression, they build boost differently, but efficiency wise, they are about the same, and its really 6 one way half dozen the other. 3) u can boost leak anything that makes boost 4) turbos will have to play catch up, but many times they will do just that 5) boost is boost.... so im not sure where ur going here. 10 psi is about the max whether SC or TC/TT, the only difference is in the parasitic loss of SC and the torque difference between tc and tt.

and about street use, actually a turbo or centrifugal SC (since they build boost the same) is actually better for a manual car (says Modified Mustang anway....) to help control launches. and if u think about it, ur at full boost at 4k ish anyway, and thats in 1st gear. ur probably thinking of supras being highway queens, its not because they bog at launch, but because they spin so bad, and thats because the supra has the worst drag suspension ever made . a mustang with a turbo will find the same traction as one iwth a SC.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

alright, it may seem like im comin down on u, but im just trying to help. #1) ur right on there, SC is way cheaper 2) actually a TT setup (more money again) makes more torque (the down low u feel) than a supercharger will, also, roots style SCs are blowers, they are inneficient. however centrifugals and twin screws have internal compression, they build boost differently, but efficiency wise, they are about the same, and its really 6 one way half dozen the other. 3) u can boost leak anything that makes boost 4) turbos will have to play catch up, but many times they will do just that 5) boost is boost.... so im not sure where ur going here. 10 psi is about the max whether SC or TC/TT, the only difference is in the parasitic loss of SC and the torque difference between tc and tt.
I thought we were talking about a single turbo setup? I would have to say, a TT setup on stock 2v internals and blockis retarded. They cost a ton, and it is very expensive if you plan on making any boost. If you want to blow it up just sit on the rev limiter until it goes.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

1. True not going to deny that one plus its easier to install
2. True again but that also means you will be dumping a lot more fuel into your engine, meaning more poewr more often thus shortening your engines life
3. This one is true but a properly installed and maintained turbo will not have boost leaks either
4. With properly sized turbo lag is nearly non-existant especially for a twin setup with one smaller and one larger
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

I thought we were talking about a single turbo setup? I would have to say, a TT setup on stock 2v internals and blockis retarded. If you want to blow it up just sit on the rev limiter until it goes.

boost is boost is boost is boost. like i said, u could run 10 psi through a 30 turbo setup and it would still be 10 psi. the internals will be fine. the ammount of pressure in the cylinder wont change. each turbo just has to work less to achieve the total pressure.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
CryO2man

ATI guys, ATI...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:22 PM
MUFFxMAN
I ♥ Acer

www.ststurbo.com is by far the best... it mounts down by the exhaust instead of the engine bay.. more powerfull and you can get a twin turbo for 3000!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

i actually like that system. its a trade off though because of all the turbo lag from the long piping. however, the pipes help cool the air waaaaaaay the hell down for more SAFER power. i think u can run into intake problems with ur filters sitting right above the ground tho. watch for puddles.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
MUFFxMAN
I ♥ Acer

but the water situation i think wouldnt be a problem unless you swim with your car..

Quick Reply: turbo charger