4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shifting in an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:03 AM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shifting in an automatic

a nice shift kit will make downshifts while in "D" alot quicker and harder
Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Yep. With an A4LD, C4, C6, and FMX. The key is the speed you're traveling. It will shift the pin at lower speeds and either break the pin and/or lock up the wheels. I wouldn't do this at 20mph. 60mph is no problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Yep. With an A4LD, C4, C6, and FMX. The key is the speed you're traveling. It will shift the pin at lower speeds and either break the pin and/or lock up the wheels. I wouldn't do this at 20mph. 60mph is no problem.
Well thats news to me. I know with a GM trans and a Mopar trans, you cannot do this, crazy Fords, always trying to protect people from themselves.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Can you shift those off-brand trannies into low at any speed without consequence (actual shifting)? I like that, too.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:56 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

i dont no about shifting from 1 2 d i do it not a whole lot but i like doing it and i have a buddie that down shifted alot n he messed something up i think it was the timing or the converter or something i forgot what he had so basiclly what everyone is sayin is it is ok do go 1 2 d i always change like at 3k rpms becuz with straight pipe it gets kinda loud n cops r on u for that
Old 09-28-2006, 03:05 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

i have an auto and a superchips tune on the car. when i floor it my car always shifts at the 6mark, 6000rpms. i have had no problems.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Manually shifting an auto won't hurt it. If you want to see why, get up to 60mph and throw it in Park for a couple seconds. Heck, toss it in first while you're at it. Guess what? No harm will come to your tranny or your car.

Neutral dropping will destroy the tranny and drivetrain however.

Powerstalling will loosen the torque converter a bit, and will heat up the fluid quickly...so it's something that you don't want to do too often.
This is not a very good idea, it will break off the park pin. Manually shifting your auto will not really hurt anything but it will not help either (assuming that the trans is functioing correctly). You will not make the car anyfaster by shifting it yourself.
That's not 100% correct....once i did gears, locker and shiftkit...manually shifting definately picks my car up, gained some time.....cuz it will shift exactly when i want it to(valve body work)....when its in drive shifts the same time
Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

Why don't we all just have a manual transmission instead of 1-2-D shifting an automatic???
Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

because i bought mine really cheap....and i can whoop most of the stangs like minie in my area.....oh and i won $400 bracket racing, much better chances of winning in an automatic
Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I am going off info proven at the track...just because it "feels" faster does not mean it is. Not trying to argue with you just stating what I have seen in a timed environment.
You misunderstood him. On a drag strip it does not help, but he was talkin about downshifting on the road, because sometimes the tranny either doesnt downshift or takes forever to do so. I personally only downshift into second because doing so in first seems rough. I often shift up on the street though.

Quick Reply: shifting in an automatic