4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To the people with Piggyback Pulleys..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: To the people with Piggyback Pulleys..

usually about a 14.6 if its a good run.....but you have upd's tune.throttle body and plenum....i was thinking that should put you a little higher than me
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: eventer289

I've heard piggyback pulleys do nothing and arent worth the money.
Correct!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

maybe you have the driver mod. j/k
you won't have any problems with piggybacks.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Piggyback UDP's still make a difference.

However, the seat of the pants difference between Piggyback's and non-PB is HUGE!

I installed March Piggyback UDP's on my 02 GT, initially I installed it without the stock crank pulley attached and the mod felt REALLY responsive. Then I put the stock crank pulley on like you should and it took a little of the gains, but it was still a significant improvement over stock.

IMO, save another 60 or 80 bucks or whatever it is and get pulleys with a SFI approved damper.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I have had March piggy backs for over two years now with zero problems. There is absolutely no difference in your engines performance characteristics with piggy backs versus non-piggy backs. It simply relates to how they are installed. If they are not installed correctly, however, I believe piggy backs will chew up your belt and screw up your power accessory bearings quicker than the non-piggy back variety. Moral: make sure everything is tight, squared up properly with no shaking or unusual noises. Oh, by the way, do yourself a favor and install a new Ford serpentine HD belt at the same time you install the pulleys. Make sure the whole pulley system is fresh. Inspect the new belt from time to time to see if you notice any unusual wear. This could be a sign of a bad pulley install or bearing problems. You will notice no change in the efficiency of your power accessories after the change. Air, charging, etc. is perfectly within specs. One other note on underdrive pulleys, don't bother if you have a 5.0 engine instead of the 4.6. I have heard there are many issues with underdrive pulleys and the older 5.0 Mustangs.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

I have had March piggy backs for over two years now with zero problems. There is absolutely no difference in your engines performance characteristics with piggy backs versus non-piggy backs. It simply relates to how they are installed. If they are not installed correctly, however, I believe piggy backs will chew up your belt and screw up your power accessory bearings quicker than the non-piggy back variety. Moral: make sure everything is tight, squared up properly with no shaking or unusual noises. Oh, by the way, do yourself a favor and install a new Ford serpentine HD belt at the same time you install the pulleys. Make sure the whole pulley system is fresh. Inspect the new belt from time to time to see if you notice any unusual wear. This could be a sign of a bad pulley install or bearing problems. You will notice no change in the efficiency of your power accessories after the change. Air, charging, etc. is perfectly within specs. One other note on underdrive pulleys, don't bother if you have a 5.0 engine instead of the 4.6. I have heard there are many issues with underdrive pulleys and the older 5.0 Mustangs.
'Reliability' would have been a better word to say. I'm sure you know non-PB's will perform better (hp)
Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

yea i have piggy back... its also supposed to put more stress on the drivetrain due to the extra mass that has to spin for no reason.. the only problem was when i first put them on the stock crank pulley ended up cutting my main coolant hose so that needed to be replaced..
ummm the car does tend to get hot if using the AC.. of course i dont know if i got my 96 cobra problem fixed so that could be it as well...

but otherwise ide say listen to what dan said and save the extra money and go with the non piggy back style
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

hey stangchik those times i ran was minus the PA valve body and tb and plenum combo, and i had some bald tires on the rear of my car when i ran that time, so im figuring with better traction and the additional mods im a lil quicker
Old 09-29-2006, 04:25 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

Don't risk it, spend the extra money and get the good ones.