4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

differential

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default differential

i test drove a 01 gt and the diff was louder than the aftermarket exhaust, it was atuo, so obviously they had been power breaking a lot. so, i looked @ the diff and the cover was really shiny and the axel was a little rusty, the cover looked aftermarket but, today i looked @ a couple on diffrent mustangs that i checked out today and they looked kinda like the one that supposedly had the crap beaten out of it. So do you guys have any pictures of your Diffs? also can you hear your rear end when your driving? or any loud *** humming noise? Ty for your input, this thread may seem pointless but any info on your drive train will help me.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: differential

If it was noisy then it probably has aftermarket gears that weren't shimmed in right. My differential is SILENT, but also quite stock. Let me find a picture.

I know the lighting sucks, but what more do you want from me [:@] It just looks like brushed aluminum... don't know if it's stock or not.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:50 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

thanks for the picture, maybe thats true about the gears. Also, the car had like 4 hard shifts in the about 15 minutes we drove it, granted we were driving the **** out of butttt could the gears change how it shifts (stupid question i know) but the only reason i think they might change the shifting is cuz the drivetrain IS after all connected to the trans, sry for the dumb ? but can someone answer it 4 me plz?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Well unless the transmission is chirping third (not likely unless it has a shift kit), the rest of the drivetrain will be fine. It should shift the same regardless of the gears in the rear.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Theres pretty much no way to find out all the mods done to it is there? CARFAX says its been in the shop for engine work once @ 22k miles and Electrical work @27k so either he got a bunch of mods in one visit, he did them himself or @ a off brand shop, or the car has been drivin like ****. What do you say?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Do a compression test, listen for any abnormal sounds (the differential being noisy is abnormal), or anything that feels strange... if all of this checks out, it's VERY likely just fine.

There's some ways to tell if it's been modded. If it's had nitrous, it's probably had a WOT switch, if that's the case, look for damage on the middle wire of the TPS, or a brand new TPS wiring harness. Also, look for holes that have been drilled around the engine bay to mount solenoids... look for holes through the firewall (or factory rubber grommets) that were not put in from the factory. If it has been supercharged, that will be a little tougher to tell, I can't give you any advice there though.

There's just a couple things most people don't consider covering up (not worth covering up either).