4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cat-back install

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default cat-back install

Got my MAC cat-back the other day and Im getting ready to install it after lunch. How long should it take me?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
SNORX302
1st Gear Member

Default RE: cat-back install

If you're putting the car on a lift-shouldn't take more than an hour. If you're doing this in your driveway on jacks-you're gonna have to cut the pipes because there are no flanges to disconnect from like on the aftermarkets-its all one piece. Doing this may take a little longer-but with a good saw-probably only another hour or so.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

i say an hour and a half at the most including getting the tools jacking the car up and then doing it and then putting it back down.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

yeah about an hour sounds right, but there always seems to be something that goes wrong. good luck though
Old 10-01-2006, 04:10 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

yeah about an hour sounds right, but there always seems to be something that goes wrong. good luck though
I know what you mean, lol. But anyways, I have my car backed up on 2 ramps, so I have plenty of room. I'll take the hack saw and cut the stocker out.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:38 PM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

good luck.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Uhh! Well the nights over. After a few hours of work, I got everything working, but the tips aren't lining up right. I'll have to do some more work on it tomorrow when I get home. Did anyone else have a problem lining them up? As for the sound, I love it and can't wait to get everything worked out.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 AM
XXrider

Just did mine yesterday. Previous owner had stock pipes that he'd cut the mufflers out of and welded in a hunk of pipe in their place. Sounded decent when idling, but did absolute crap for performance. And, without mufflers, was it obnoxiously loud at anything over 2 grand, even during moderate throttle use. Ack. Moron.

Anyways, the sawzall took care of the pipes in mere seconds. (Love that tool). The installation, in my garage, wasn't too bad. I only had a hydraulic jack and two jack stands, and it was still do-able. Took about 4 hours.... mostly due to the pain in the butt of crawling in and out from under various areas of the car, having to jack and work one side at a time, and working by myself - would have been quicker if I had someone to help. Still, not too bad to do alone...

Installation is actually pretty easy. The tough part is getting things adjusted so they align correctly. That took a fair amount of tweaking, but ultimately ended up being perfect. Just work logically, from the front towards the back, and you're there. MAC did a great thing with their joint system, so you'll be able to move the parts around in all sorts of ways to get them aligned. The back ended up being a piece of cake. My only issue was the right side exhaust being a pain to adjust around the gas tank, but it all ended up being good with a bit of adjustment work.

The overall sound is, as you said, amazing. Compared to the hill-billy sound of the straight pipes it's back to being something that you'd expect from a Mustang. (I've owned several over the years, but this is my first MAC system - very impressive).

And for anyone contemplating straight pipes (back from the cats), forget it: the car hates it. Performance, mileage, and sound are all way off from what they should be. I got the car, used, with very low miles from the original owner who admitted himself that it wasn't what it was when he bought it. Exhausts work, kids.

'rider.