4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Signs of exhaust leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

Default Signs of exhaust leaks?

I jus finished installin an o/r x on my 6er but i'm goin to get it all welded up monday. I got all the connections clamped wit some exhaust sealer stuff on it from autozone. Wut are some signs of exhaust leaks? cause the smell is different in the cabin, but my dad said its gon smell like that anyway wit out the cats, i disagree. Any help?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:35 PM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Signs of exhaust leaks?

yea it will smell different because the cats help with pollution so you will smell the fumes.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangman2354

yea it will smell different because the cats help with pollution so you will smell the fumes.
Can u smell the fumes inside your car? Wut can i do to keep the inside smellin descent?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:43 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

The exhaust will smell different, the cats help to reduce emmissions and dispose of unburnt fuel. It will smell like its running rich, thats nothing to worry about, thats a normal smell on cars without cats. It shouldnt affect your tune as long as you have mils, or have the rear sensors turned off with a tuner. Also the finish on the pipes will give off an odor.

A leak will sound like a ticking, which usually becomes worse under a load(driving down the street at half throttle). If you hear this, get under the car with it running and look at your connecting points. You can usually find where its coming from by the sound being louder in one place than another. I thought mine had a small leak after i installed it that seemed to go away in a day or so.

This is just me, but I wouldnt weld anything in. If you fail your emissions check witt the o/r pipe on, you can always just go home and bolt up the old catted pipe. If you get it welded, which a shop probably wont do bedause you dont have cats, you could be in trouble and have to butcher the pipe with a torch if you dont pass emissions.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:44 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Yeah you have a finish on the x pipe that takes a good part of a week to burn off. If there was a leak it would smell like gas and you would be getting sick. It has this glaze smell when the finish burns off. Its even worse when you do a whole system. When i did my headers, x, and cat back it reaked for a week or so.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotrod7687

The exhaust will smell different, the cats help to reduce emmissions and dispose of unburnt fuel. It will smell like its running rich, thats nothing to worry about, thats a normal smell on cars without cats. It shouldnt affect your tune as long as you have mils, or have the rear sensors turned off with a tuner. Also the finish on the pipes will give off an odor.

A leak will sound like a ticking, which usually becomes worse under a load(driving down the street at half throttle). If you hear this, get under the car with it running and look at your connecting points. You can usually find where its coming from by the sound being louder in one place than another. I thought mine had a small leak after i installed it that seemed to go away in a day or so.

This is just me, but I wouldnt weld anything in. If you fail your emissions check witt the o/r pipe on, you can always just go home and bolt up the old catted pipe. If you get it welded, which a shop probably wont do bedause you dont have cats, you could be in trouble and have to butcher the pipe with a torch if you dont pass emissions.
We don't have emmissions checks in MS. U think a shop won't weld even though they weren't the ones who removed the cats?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Yeah you have a finish on the x pipe that takes a good part of a week to burn off. If there was a leak it would smell like gas and you would be getting sick. It has this glaze smell when the finish burns off. Its even worse when you do a whole system. When i did my headers, x, and cat back it reaked for a week or so.
Wut does glaze smell like?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Oh well its kinda weird and almost sweet smelling. Every exhaust part you put on has this and it has to burn off so im sure thats what you're smelling. If you had an exhaust leak youd hear it. Trust me.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM
jrspony
2nd Gear Member

Well it sounds pretty smooth, besides the extra rumble of no cats. so i guess i jus need to be patient and let the mandrel fluids burn off..
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I would give it a few days for the smell to go away.

Around here its illegal for a shop to work on a car without cats. They could get fined if its ever brought to someones attention that they worked on a car and didnt have it up to emission standards when it left the shop. I tried to have some tips put on mine a while back, they wouldnt even look under it after i told them it had an o/r pipe.

Quick Reply: Signs of exhaust leaks?