4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First weekend spent with the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default First weekend spent with the car

Well, this was the first weekend I've really spent with my car. I bought it almost 2 weeks ago and got paid last Friday so this weekend was when it all began. Nothing too hugely exciting yet.

My passenger side mirror was completely broken, glass had fallen out and the motor inside (power) was cracked too so I got two new mirrors for both sides and changed them this morning. I got both sides because the drivers side glass was cracked as well, not very noticeable, but they didn't sell just the glass where I went and I knew that being black plastic they would have faded a little over time, so replacing just one would leave me with one new and one old looking mirror, so I just took care of both at once.

Installation started out slow when I read around and was under the impression that you needed to completely remove the door panel to replace the mirrors. After spending a while messing with the stupid manual window **** (yeah yeah, stupid c clip), I took a second look and realized that I could easily reach up and unclip the wiring harness from hole where the door handle panel was and pull it all out from up top. Once I knew what I was doing, the other side took about 5 minutes.

Also, yesterday I ordered my new head unit. The stock cassette player wasn't working so well for me needs, and the 10 disc changer that the previous owner installed was more annoying than useful (didn't read CD-R/RW, obviously didn't read anything like MP3 CDs, was all the way in the trunk, used FM transmission rather than a direct plug since it was the factory head unit, etc). I chose to go all out and get the Alpine CDA-9857 and the iPod connector for the HU. I couldn't be happier with this purchase, so maybe just that upgrade can hold me off wanting to get completely new speakers for now. Pic in my album and here: http://www.ajerman.com/car/newhu.jpg

And finally I decided to get out there and dig into the engine and really clean it up well. We're talking a little spray degreaser, a toothbrush and a garden hose. Honestly it didn't take as long as it may sound like it would have. The degreaser really cut away all the dirt and then with a little scrubbing and a quick rinse everything looked good as new. It looks infinitely better than it did before. You know how a 10 year old car's engine compartment looks when it's never been cleaned. The whole thing is just brown. Well now I'm ready for any work in the engine, and I'll clean it even better when I get in there to actually start replacing things and do my tune up. As before, pic in my album and here: http://www.ajerman.com/car/cleanengine.jpg

Anyway, that's all, this probably isn't an exciting post to read but it's exciting for me to finally get out there and start doing things with my new car. I also ordered a Steeda Tri-Ax and a JLT RAI that should be here sometime this week so those will be my first two performance mods. I'm loving my car so far and can't wait to get it in top shape with a tune up and a few small mods.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: First weekend spent with the car

=D i remember my first weekend with my car... good times

anyway you should work on the exhaust next... trust me its worth it on a otherwise stock car.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Is that the stock alternator? I always thought they were the same as the 99-04's.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

=D i remember my first weekend with my car... good times

anyway you should work on the exhaust next... trust me its worth it on a otherwise stock car.
Yeah, I definitely plan to, I just don't know exactly what I want yet. I'm still trying to find exactly the sound that I like and it's kind of hard just listening to clips online.

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Is that the stock alternator? I always thought they were the same as the 99-04's.
As far as I know it is but I could definitely be mistaken. I mean, the previous owner didn't say anything about replacing it but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been. I haven't looked close enough to check markings on it or know what stock was.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 AM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

hell yea clean sn-95 +1 !!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

nice car bro I just cleaned my motor even though it only has 3,000 miles on it but anywho why do i feel like i am the only one with the cover that extend over the radiator