4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: mattmoto441

those things are made by whipple and i dont know where you got 55 hp?? but those things are just like saleen s/c (alsoast a twin) they have the potenchel for big numbers with the right setup (pulleys and mods)
The new FRPP for the 05's is made by whipple and is a twin screw. The SVO/FRPP supercharger kits for 96-98 GT's is made by Eaton and is the same M112 unit used on the 03/04 Cobra and Lightning....just not intercooled

ya thats what i thought we where talking about when i posted the eaton one dose have the potenchel now that i have the 03 cobra, but i also seen on i think it was stangnet that there was a eaton blown 01 GT with 380 to the wheels
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Just remeber that even though it has great potential (for a factory stock blower) on the 03/04 cobra, doesn't mean it does on the GT.

A 03/04 cobra will make something like 350~ horsepower (flywheel) without the blower on it, and the heads/cam/intake package is worlds above a stock 2v GT setup. This is what allows the 03/04 to make so much power on the stock eaton.

Plain and simple, your just not gonna make great numbers with the eaton, it tapps out real early, will drop off at the top of the powerband, and just isn't a good idea on a 2v setup.

Other than for the NPI guys not wanting to buy a PI intake, there isn't any reason to go with the FRPP blower when there are kits like vortech/kb/paxton/ati out there.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Just remeber that even though it has great potential (for a factory stock blower) on the 03/04 cobra, doesn't mean it does on the GT.

A 03/04 cobra will make something like 350~ horsepower (flywheel) without the blower on it, and the heads/cam/intake package is worlds above a stock 2v GT setup. This is what allows the 03/04 to make so much power on the stock eaton.

Plain and simple, your just not gonna make great numbers with the eaton, it tapps out real early, will drop off at the top of the powerband, and just isn't a good idea on a 2v setup.

Other than for the NPI guys not wanting to buy a PI intake, there isn't any reason to go with the FRPP blower when there are kits like vortech/kb/paxton/ati out there.

This is precisely why I ask these questions....Great stuff guys, now that I have some (alot) more info and comparisons I can see that I may have to just pony up the dough and do the manifold kit and then possibly a vortech. If I am not going to be happy why spend the money at all. 330hp aint gonna cut it.

Then again I don't want to touch the bottom end so really 400hp is as high as I should go any way...correct?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Well now I'm really confused..lol. You guys give great argument both for and against. The reason I still may go with a FRPP is that I will not need a manifold. The manifold itself is 190-210 beans but the adaptor kit make the total $500. I know I can use npi gaskets and some sealant for the water ports, but I don't trust that with FI...sooo the kit is only alternative. If you take the 500 off the 3300 price of the FRPP, you can get 75-100 hp in a nice clean package for $2800.

I also see what people mean about not bothering with porting,but thats half the fun! Tinkering, grinding, banging until it goes like a raped ape is what American muscle is all about!
I understand your thinking about the pricing of your intake manifold.

Just remeber, assuming that your car is currently stock, and you can get it up to stock 99~ GT level with cams/intake/ported heads, you will still only make about 330~ WHP with this blower at 8-10 PSI.

It simply does not have good flow potential or efficentcy. Even with full boltons etc I cannot imagine this blower making much over about 360-370 WHP. With cams/full exhaust/intake etc etc I am making about 425 with the vortech for reference.

I hope you are not thinking you are gonna port your NPI heads yourself in your garage. CNC is mandatory, as is having someone that has done it before. 2v heads are extremely picky about port jobs, and its really easy to take out too much material and actually get negitive results.
While I have ported a little in the past, I have no intention of porting these babies. There is a gentleman in this forum that I am discussing purchasing heads from and he has a shop to p&p them. I will install the PI cams and springs, but the porting is a big no.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I would stay around 400-450TOPS on a stock 2v motor... There are people bravely higher then 450, but most of em are just waiting for it to give out and already have the parts in thier garage, haha... The problem with the Eatons is that like 2000 said they tap out really early, they don't spin high enough... and also they run REALLY hot.

I would personally hold out for a Procharger (if you want to go centrifugal), or a Whipple/Kenne Bell if you want a twin screw... Centrifugals make a huge amt of power but at higher rpms... the twin screws/roots style blowers will put you at high low end tor and carry it through (see my dyno sheet for what I mean)
Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Well now I'm really confused..lol. You guys give great argument both for and against. The reason I still may go with a FRPP is that I will not need a manifold. The manifold itself is 190-210 beans but the adaptor kit make the total $500. I know I can use npi gaskets and some sealant for the water ports, but I don't trust that with FI...sooo the kit is only alternative. If you take the 500 off the 3300 price of the FRPP, you can get 75-100 hp in a nice clean package for $2800.

I also see what people mean about not bothering with porting,but thats half the fun! Tinkering, grinding, banging until it goes like a raped ape is what American muscle is all about!
I understand your thinking about the pricing of your intake manifold.

Just remeber, assuming that your car is currently stock, and you can get it up to stock 99~ GT level with cams/intake/ported heads, you will still only make about 330~ WHP with this blower at 8-10 PSI.

It simply does not have good flow potential or efficentcy. Even with full boltons etc I cannot imagine this blower making much over about 360-370 WHP. With cams/full exhaust/intake etc etc I am making about 425 with the vortech for reference.

I hope you are not thinking you are gonna port your NPI heads yourself in your garage. CNC is mandatory, as is having someone that has done it before. 2v heads are extremely picky about port jobs, and its really easy to take out too much material and actually get negitive results.
See this is where i get annoyed, most of you giving advice about this blower don't really know anything about it!!! You just read about it. The reason i bought it was because i have seen it in person on several different 2V's over the years and its just as powerful and efficient as any other blower up to 10psi...then as i have said already you would be better with a KB etc after that.
My friend puts down 404rwhp with his 96 GT with 04 engine swap with a FRPP blower at 6psi. He was at 330rwhp stock(+ blower) then switched to Crower st 2 blower cams/42lb inj/90mm maf/and a better tune to jump to 404rwhp...(he does have LT's and bolt ons) if he puts on a 9psi pulley he will be @ your 425rwhp or so.

Take a Mongoose non intercooled kit and install it on a basically stock GT and you get @ 330-340rwhp...put a FRPP blower on the same car and you get about the same! so how are the other blowers at more money better for the street? More then 10psi isn't needed for a street cruiser by most.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

for the money spend 3900 on the kenne bell, plus you get everything u need like injectors boost a pump, initial tune, etc. etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

for the money spend 3900 on the kenne bell, plus you get everything u need like injectors boost a pump, initial tune, etc. etc.
There is no non intercooled kit for us 96-98 2V's from KB so the cheapest kit is $5,000...and the Ford kit also comes with injectors/tune/fuel pump etc etc for $3300.
If i could have bought a KB for just a few hundred more i would have
Also KB doesn't offer a kit for 96-98 PI swapped cars like Ford does either, another reason i don't have a KB. I know someone who adapted a 99-04 14psi kit on his 96 PI swapped GT but he had to do some custom work and alot of tweeking.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Drop... The Eaton supercharger is NOT a s/c you really want. I have one and im saying this, they run incredibly hot, and don't spin. Yes, maybe you can get the same power with the same psi, and even pay a little bit less... It's also the quality of the blower... Why do you think every cobra owner would switch our Eatons for something else if money wasn't a factor? One is for more power, the Eatons max out very quickly, and because it runs very hot... There are KB, and Whipples making 700-800rwhp on Cobras, but Eatons are basically maxxed out at 500rwhp and that's with a ported blower. I would tell anyone if they wanted a twin screw/roots type blower - to get a Whipple, because it's cheaper then the KB counterpart... or a KB if that's what they really want. I have an Eaton, and im switching for a Whipple because the Whipple doesn't run as hot, as of right now I dont even have 600rwhp admirations.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Drop... The Eaton supercharger is NOT a s/c you really want. I have one and im saying this, they run incredibly hot, and don't spin. Yes, maybe you can get the same power with the same psi, and even pay a little bit less... It's also the quality of the blower... Why do you think every cobra owner would switch our Eatons for something else if money wasn't a factor? One is for more power, the Eatons max out very quickly, and because it runs very hot... There are KB, and Whipples making 700-800rwhp on Cobras, but Eatons are basically maxxed out at 500rwhp and that's with a ported blower. I would tell anyone if they wanted a twin screw/roots type blower - to get a Whipple, because it's cheaper then the KB counterpart... or a KB if that's what they really want. I have an Eaton, and im switching for a Whipple because the Whipple doesn't run as hot, as of right now I dont even have 600rwhp admirations.
Those of us with 96-98 2V's can't get a Whipple and the KB is $5000 dollars for us so the eaton is about all we have for PD blowers without really breaking the bank...

Also the problems are not as relevant from the Cobra when comparing the 2V version...2V's don't spin to 8krpm so we don't max out the blower speed like you will. At 6000rpm its still ok efficiency wise, but at 8000rpm i can see the heat really being an issue...

Quick Reply: FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay