4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Swapping a Cobra rear into a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
mattk
1st Gear Member

Default Swapping a Cobra rear into a GT?

I have a '97 GT, I'm thinking of swapping in a '98 Cobra rear end into it (the cobra rear has better gears and it's less expensive than having gears put into mine.....I think). Will the Cobra rear be a direct bolt in, or are there differences that I haven't considered?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Swapping a Cobra rear into a GT?

Lol its a waste of money.

You are basically swapping out your rear end, for the same rear end...how does that make sense. Just upgrade your gears instead. It will be cheaper and easier.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean by rear end? The suspension and differential? Everything? or just the differential and pinnion gears. If you want to do a differential swap. 400$ for parts and service. Less if you have the tools and time your self. Susupension wise, I've heard that the sobra suspension is worse than the stock GT. Go drive one through a road course. Make your own decission.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:40 PM
mattk
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the whole rear end assembly, axle to axle. I guess what I'm looking for is if everything will bolt straight up. I can get a cobra rear end for $200. The local shops around here want $500-600 to replace gears. I have 2.79 gears, the cobra has 3.55. I don't know how to set up a ring and pinion, but I'm sure I could switch out a rear end if everything will bolt up.

Matt
Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattk

I was looking at the whole rear end assembly, axle to axle. I guess what I'm looking for is if everything will bolt straight up. I can get a cobra rear end for $200. The local shops around here want $500-600 to replace gears. I have 2.79 gears, the cobra has 3.55. I don't know how to set up a ring and pinion, but I'm sure I could switch out a rear end if everything will bolt up.

Matt
2.73s* and theres no point in swapping your whole rear end. Find a diff shop. It should only be around 250 for the install.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

THe whole swap is useless. Your stock axles will hold up to 800hp and your differential is 250$ to buy a LSD. As for the install, i have heard as low as 150$. It took my a week and 150$ worth of broken shims and new tools to do the job. It's a bitch to swap but once you know how to do it, its not all that hard. And by know how, I mean, have done it once, not read up on it. Experience or lots of patience is what will get your differential in. Changing out the gears and such is not all that hard either, but once again, You need do know what your doing. IF this is a daily driver, and you need the car. Just take it to a shop and have them do it. And, don't mess with the cobra rear end, its stock. New aftermarket stuff, is always better than a stock replacement. (assuming the aftermarket maker doesn't blow)
Old 10-06-2006, 09:26 PM
ponycruisin

Find directions online,Buy 4.10's, get a 12-pack, and make a day of it. People completely overrate the difficulty of of a gear swap. If you have any mechanical ability and alittle time, you'll be fine.Just get ford racing gears. Backlash and shims won't have to be changed. And hey if you do mess it up that bad, then you can pay someone to fix it.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

From what i remember cobra's had 3.27 gears in it not 3.55
Old 10-07-2006, 01:39 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

From what i remember cobra's had 3.27 gears in it not 3.55
that is true....3.55 didn't come until the 03/04 Cobra.

the only way it is really worth it is if it includes the rear Cobra brake assembly which is slightly larger then the GT's.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:05 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Now why would you wanna do that????

Quick Reply: Swapping a Cobra rear into a GT?