4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cut springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cut springs?

ORIGINAL: WARPONY

If cutting springs was the right way than we would all be cutting. Why ask if ur such an expert? Im just saying.
I am asking just to make sure it is safe before I do it. They will only be on the car for a few months till I coilover the rear. I want to keep the same ride height as I had before. I know it is getto and cheap but I couldn't really give a **** about that. I'm looking for a temp fix not like I'm going to ride around alot on them. The car doesnt even have an engine right now LOL. But I gave my wife my sportlines and need something.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

yes...............
Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

if you want good weight transfer for less $, foxbody v8 springs outback, and 4 banger fox springs up front. or maybe its the other way around but Ive heard it works awesome.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Can you cut the rear spring (1 coil) and they still fit and work safely?
why would you do this when a spring kit is like 200 bucks??

Its ghetto, it can make it ride like ****, and I have extreme doubt that you are gonna get weight transfer off of it.

If you really need weight transfer, just get some fox 4cyl springs. junkyard em for almost nothing.
maybe its alittle ghetto, but i have had over 20 cars in my driving years that i either wasted money on eibach or "performance' springs, and then i started to cut them, you get more a custom ride height and they do get stiffer and handle better, i just did my wifes audi a6 with kyb and eibach pro kit, and if i could have cut her springs i would have but they are coiled differently than most...., its all in the shocks anyway people, i have saleen n2 shocks now with CUT springs and it handles better than my buddies with stock shocks and ford racing springs..... and your axle will not snap i hope that guy was kidding
It screws up the spring rate, it can easily make it "bounce" around the corners, and it won't help with handling unless you add other aftermarket stuff to help out what you screwed up.

I guarentee your buddy would be better off with his springs and your shocks than you are with your setup.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

im in cali and was wondering n thinking bout this topic i seen alot of ppl that cut off the coil and there ride is a lil bit more bouncy then others why is that. is that even safe to do. i no its not the way to go but say u just want to drop it. and do u not take off the same at a launch?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

im in cali and was wondering n thinking bout this topic i seen alot of ppl that cut off the coil and there ride is a lil bit more bouncy then others why is that. is that even safe to do. i no its not the way to go but say u just want to drop it. and do u not take off the same at a launch?
It bounces because the spring rate is all screwed up.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:32 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

so thats why all the ricers car bounce the ppl that drive them look like lil boble heads
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The bouncing does not have to do with the spring, it is the shocks that cause it to be bouncy. When you lower your car with cut or lowering springs and you dont put new shocks that are designed for lowered cars you will get the ricer bounce.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Can you cut the rear spring (1 coil) and they still fit and work safely?
why would you do this when a spring kit is like 200 bucks??

Its ghetto, it can make it ride like ****, and I have extreme doubt that you are gonna get weight transfer off of it.

If you really need weight transfer, just get some fox 4cyl springs. junkyard em for almost nothing.
maybe its alittle ghetto, but i have had over 20 cars in my driving years that i either wasted money on eibach or "performance' springs, and then i started to cut them, you get more a custom ride height and they do get stiffer and handle better, i just did my wifes audi a6 with kyb and eibach pro kit, and if i could have cut her springs i would have but they are coiled differently than most...., its all in the shocks anyway people, i have saleen n2 shocks now with CUT springs and it handles better than my buddies with stock shocks and ford racing springs..... and your axle will not snap i hope that guy was kidding
It screws up the spring rate, it can easily make it "bounce" around the corners, and it won't help with handling unless you add other aftermarket stuff to help out what you screwed up.

I guarentee your buddy would be better off with his springs and your shocks than you are with your setup.
1st all i never said i am a expert at all, but at least i have tried it both ways... have you?? how can someone make claims about things if they have not tried it??? and they make progressive springs and non progressive springs, so when you cut the ford stock springs your cutting the dead coil so u get pretty much the same spring rate, and how in the world does that make you bounce around, shocks control the springs, i am not bounceing around, its not unsafe, i have no clunks or noises from the springs, and have you driven both cars like me??? wow people are quick to make claims on things they have no experience with, thats interesting..... the person asked if its ok and safe to do it.... and yes it is, but just to let him know i had to get new spring seats off a f body for the rear springs to seat properly because when you cut the DEAD coil off it no longer sits flat.... and i dont disagree that purchaced springs are better, i just like to see how the car reacted to ME modding the springs, and guess what it was 10000 times better than stock when i cut them so i was happy and did not spend $200 for springs, if i was unhappy i could easily afford aftermarket springs.. Although aftermarket springs are great they come in all kinds of spring rates and progressive non progressive, so u may have to get like 3 sets to find the ride you like, and anyway u will only notice if your autocrossing or at the drag strip all the time and someone is posting your results... and i am not going to do any lateral G testing or braking tests any time soon, so i can cut my springs and enjoy my ride....
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

height and they do get stiffer and handle better
[sm=bs.gif]

It's good for looks and looks only.
funny, when you cut springs you get 3 things, lower center of gravity(handles better), looks, and stiffer due to less coils
and when you buy them you get 4, lower center of gravity(handles better), looks, and stiffer due to less coils, and 2 hours and $200 gone
www.corvetteforums.com isnt it time for you to find a new hangout....

Quick Reply: Cut springs?