4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sequential taillights blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Stangin Stacey

Default Sequential taillights blowing fuses

I just installed sequential taillights to my 2001 Mustang GT and twice it has blown my parking lights fuse (no dash lights, parking lights, tail lights, fog lights). Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and what I might be able to do to correct the problem? I'd hate to scrap my new lights!! This is the first modification I've made that affects anything electrical, and I followed the instructions, as much as there was! There was a "flasher module" included, but not any instructions as to installation or placement.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Sequential taillights blowing fuses

whatever you do, do not use a larger capacity fuse
because you could damage something else that's
very expensive.
-
you may have a bad connection which is arcing and
when connectors arc, they draw lots of current.

you may have wired the module in wrong, double check
the wiring diagram.

good luck and the sequentials are very cool imo.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Stangin Stacey

I would double check the wiring diagram if I had one!! That was the first thing my husband suggested (who is an electrician). Not sure how to get one. Suggestions?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

clicky
Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

clicky
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Stangin Stacey

The lights I bought were "plug-n-play", thankfully! One of the pictures was about all I received with my light set. Very frustrating!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Stangin Stacey

The modified flasher that was sent to me, I don't see where it is supposed to be placed? This may sound basic, but even my husband is having a hard time with this one, so I don't feel so bad! I looked at the directions on the webelectricproducts.com site you linked for me, and it mentions being sent one, but doesn't mention or show a picture of where it goes. Am I missing something that basic?

Once again, thanks for your help!!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

C) Trim the WHITE module wire to length and strip about 1/2" of insulation. Using a wire nut, connect it to the new pigtail of the middle socket (this is the old inside socket that you moved to the middle position).

D) Cut the signal wire (orange with blue stripe) of the outside socket about 3-4" from the socket. Strip 1/2" of insulation from the signal wire coming from the outside socket. Trim the BLUE module wire to length and strip about 1/2" of insulation. Using a wire nut, connect it to the signal wire that goes to the socket.

E) Cap off the short harness wire with a wire nut and use some tie wraps to bundle the wires to the harness. This will reduce the chance of pinching a wire against the body of the car.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stangin Stacey

The modified flasher that was sent to me, I don't see where it is supposed to be placed? This may sound basic, but even my husband is having a hard time with this one, so I don't feel so bad! I looked at the directions on the webelectricproducts.com site you linked for me, and it mentions being sent one, but doesn't mention or show a picture of where it goes. Am I missing something that basic?

Once again, thanks for your help!!
The modified flasher should go up under the driver's side dash, deeper than the OBD-II port... I had to have my door all the way open and I laid down with my head up by the gas pedal and such to get good access to the old flasher to remove it... it didn't come out without causing me a LOT of stress.

I can't offer much more help than that because my kit required some cutting of wires but it turned out GREAT and I haven't had a single problem with it. Different kit than the one you have I'm sure, mine came with very comprehensive instructions and had some FAQ's already on it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Stangin Stacey

I want to thank you all for your input. I spoke with the manufacturer today and after running some tests, we determined that one of my harnesses was faulty. He is sending a replacement tomorrow. I'm so glad it was the harness and I can still have my lights. They look so sweet!!

Now if I can just find out where to get some of these nifty "fear this" stickers with the pink flames...they would really set off my car. Naw! Wouldn't go with the red paint!! [8D]

Ok, no stickers....I'd have to move to Maryland!!!

Quick Reply: Sequential taillights blowing fuses