4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:05 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Default MOD NEWS!!!

So i finally got my first in and on!! After deciding on a mrt h pipe. The guyS at Dallas Mustang (greatest shop ever) talked me into a Bassani X; which i must say is very pleasing! Maybe its just because of the noise difference; but I swear there is a slight mid/high end hp difference! Which is just an added bonus to the louder, GREAT, sound. And maybe after doing the headers and cat-back the sound will drown out the low rpm pipe rattling. And I have an appointment on thursday for my FR 4.10's. I was just so excited and had to tell someone who would appreciate the news, not like the estrogen team im completely surrounded with. NOW MY QUESTION: I am planning (hopefully) on getting some headers put on next pay day. Before i do i would just like some re-assurance that the hp gain is significant enough to spend all the money on them and installation!? Since they have to be street legal and fit my new (long) x pipe, Im planning on some shorties. SO, is it worth roughly 900? Sound? HP? I know not to expect 30 from shorties but at least 10 right? Anything advice would help...alot! Because i want to make that appointment when im up there getting my gears done.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MOD NEWS!!!

Are you sure the guys at Dallas Mustang didn't talk you into a Bassani X because it's expensive? [8D] Full exhaust may not be the most power efficient mod for the money, but it will make your car sound awesome. If long tube headers are illegal in your state, I would think shorties are too. You'll have to check with your area about for that. If you get shorties you can probably install them yourself and save some money. All together, I would say your exhaust set up should give you around 20rwhp.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

well one of the main reasons i let em talk me into it was because it was only 350 as oppossed to 500+/- which is what i was planning on for an h. and its kind of weird trying to find out which headers are illegal and not. From what i have gathered a very very few long tubes are legal. Shorties are a little easier to find (legal) but still hard. Its too bad they all cant be legal. Im just wondering if the headers alone will be worth it? Because i am doing the rest, just wanted to make sure about the headers beforehand since there is so much involved w/ em you know?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:04 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Well, headers are a must if you want performance from your mustang. It is a key bolt-on, but most people will tell you that you should get long-tubes. I think shorties are more practical being that the install is much easier, and you don't have to worry about them whenever work is done to the transmission like a clutch install you might do down the road. Shorty headers will still flow better than the stock exhaust manifold so, it depends on what you're looking for from your car.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

long tube youll bottom out much eaiser also, remeber that with those+speed bump= % chance youll crack or dent something if your not careful, and for the price your paying id suggest NOS as opposed to full exhuast theyll both prob run about 1100 +/- but a nice 50/75 wet shot will give you ALOT more bang for your buck....unless you want sound then go with exhaust or make a compromise and get a mid pipe/dry (mix exhaust parts/nos systems) to equate to around 1200...just my opinion
Old 10-16-2006, 03:47 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

before you went and bought a mid-pipe that isnt adjustable... you should have taken into consideration what you were going to do next.. should of gone with headers first if you didnt want to buy a new mid pipe or whatnot...

shortys are not worth it IMO and others.and if u were saying 900 for a set, your out of your mind unless ur getting JBA(now if u meant 900 for install as well, ide still tell you thats alot for shortys+install)(thats like a LT buy + install)... you ull see a difference in HP, but barely at all... Long tubes are the way to go, just keep high flow cats on your car(but i see u still have cats so ur fine) and you will be fine with emmisions.. you can get a set of BBK LTs for prolly 450 or so.. make sure no matter what you get, make sure its ceramic coated.

now as far as the stupid % of scraping things and whatnot...
first off, your car isnt lowered yet so no big deal.. once ur not with the 4x4 look anymore, then drive a little more cautiously..
next.. speed bumps??? lets take into consideration you tend to slow down for speed bumps...if you slow down and take your time, you will clear the speed bump, and if not, just scrape the LT and not too much more.. so no biggy.. SO! take into consideration your normal drivin day.. please tell me.. exactly how many stupid speed bumps do you go over in a normal day? 30?! probably not, so dont worry about that..

i live in NJ, we have some of the ****tiest roads man, let me tell you.. and where i live, hills, holes, high risen railroad tracks... something once my car is dropped 2 inches and once i get some money and put on LTs;my car may not like... but do i care? nooo because i want the perforamance and i know im not going to drive it like an idiot when i need to be careful..

SO GO WITH LONG TUBES(ceramic coated)... once this is done you might find you want a new cat-back.. since you have the dronemasters over there.. they sound real good with an o/rH.. but i dont know about headers and a catted X...anyways... after this you could go with some lowering springs, Throttle body(75mm) and plenum combo, CAI(JLT makes some of the best), new wires(FRPP 9mm), and some underdrive pulleys(March or Steeda, non piggyback style) with a good short throw shifter(MGW,Steeda Tri-AX, and pro 5.0 are the top 3)....

so now that you have started modding.. make good decisions.. and ENJOY THE FUN!!!! and the feel of a new car once those gears go in hahah... be safe and enjoy man..

edit: btw.. without LTs.. this is how low my exhaust hangs(i can adjust it but dont feel like it now), and once i do adjust it you wont see it like that.. but like i said, this is without long tubes, although it may look it.. SLP X pipe with 2 high flow cats, SLP LM2

[IMG]local://upfiles/13539/DF832398B5974BBE81241163529C6764.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

headers before h-pipe so your not stuck going with one header over the other (ie. short/long tube).
Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Shorties dont really do anything and they certainly arent worth the money! Get an N20 kit for that price! Long Tubes are the only ones worth it.