4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:17 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Snow Tires

for the amount of money it would cost for 4 snow tires, 4 rims, alignment and all that crap...and to still run the risk of crashing my stang.....

i bought a 92 civic dx....i'd rather total a car that i bought for $750 than put a scratch on the mustang i got for several thousands more......

I've only driven it a few times...basically from where i bought it to my house...and once to my mechanic....and i'm only driving it when theres snow/ice on the roads....the ONLY plus I see is i prob get 30+ miles to the gallon haha... other than that, i'm embarressed to own it...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

for the amount of money it would cost for 4 snow tires, 4 rims, alignment and all that crap...and to still run the risk of crashing my stang.....

i bought a 92 civic dx....i'd rather total a car that i bought for $750 than put a scratch on the mustang i got for several thousands more......

I've only driven it a few times...basically from where i bought it to my house...and once to my mechanic....and i'm only driving it when theres snow/ice on the roads....the ONLY plus I see is i prob get 30+ miles to the gallon haha... other than that, i'm embarressed to own it...
owning a second car is not an option for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
escapeGT

I just bought from Tire Rack Blizzak Revo 1's mounted and balanced on black steel wheels with lug nuts. Going for traction, not looks. Wheel covers should do fine with the steel wheels. Package was $667 shipped plus there is a $50 rebate to get back. I contemplated the Blizzak WS-50's.

On the tire size, I think you're wasting your money to go with the stock tire size in a winter tire of 245\45R17, unless you have no choice but to use your existing 17 inch wheels. The best traction in the snow should be a smaller contact patch. Recommended size in a 16 inch is 225\55R16, but I'm going with the alternate size of 215\60R16. Tire diameter on the 245\45R17 & 225\55R16 are the same at 25.7 inches. The 215\60R16 diameter is only .5 inch taller at 26.2 inches.

Certainly a few choices in tire make and at least 2 or 3 options on tire size. Good luck with whatever you choose. Oh, and for those impending snow storms, a couple of 40 pound bags\containers of sand in the trunk should help too.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

I would stick with that tire size, its the stock tire size. I highly suggest the dunlop m3's.

i hope they are good, thats what i am going with this winter
Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

I need to keep the stock wheels (17") as I do not have enough money for others. Should I still stick with the recommended 245/45/17 tires or should I go with something smaller?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

Stick with your stock size; I wouldn't put any weight in the trunk. If you drive carefully you really won't need it. I've got Daytona ZR's on my GT...P275/40ZR17's on the rear and 245/45ZR17's on the front and it did well in rain and snow. They might be pretty expensive though. I am just starting to shop for new tires and am going to check out more Daytona's. I did a search for tire ratings and came up with some pretty good reviews...good luck.

Whatever you do turn off the traction control; it's truly a P.O.S.! I was up at Lake Tahoe and got caught in about 3" of fresh snow. I pulled onto the highway going up-hill and with the traction control on I was half sideways and couldn't get any speed. Cars were whizzing by me at about forty miles an hour. I reached down, turned off the traction control, straightened right out and got up to a decent speed.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
escapeGT

Yep, stay with stock tire size if using the existing wheels. You don't want to change the ride height (tire diameter) much at all from stock. Extra weight in the trunk is optional. Start off as is, but may be worth having something handy if you think the back end is spinning more than gripping. Whatever is best for you. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

more on the traction control. Do others agree that it is useless?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 AM
escapeGT

No experience yet with my GT in the snow but will find out quick I suppose. In the summer on the track I've gone with turning traction control off. As was suggested it should be fairly quick to figure out. Turning TC off may be the way to go especially trying to get moving in snow, but TC on may have some benefit if you are moving along ok. I'm hoping I don't use up the clutch in the process if it's a snowy winter.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MCanavan6

more on the traction control. Do others agree that it is useless?

yes.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires