4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2v question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default 2v question??

aight so im basically done with simple bolt ons, its time to start really moddin my 2v. im in the market for some heads and cams, and eventually a blower. so im lookin at comp cams stage 1. im curious as to some avg power gains. i know theyll work with the stock heads, but will i need to do any supporting mods, like bigger injectors. also i really want a hard lope from the cams, will a stage 1 give me that, or will i have to go stage 2, and on that note if i have to go stage 2 will i need different heads. id really appreciate any info u guys can give me, cuz im buyin in like a week or so.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2v question??

If you're planning on going with a supercharger, you'll probably want to look into getting a blower cam. They are specifically designed to work the best with a supercharger. To see the real benifits of most cams, you'll want to get a stronger bottom end, so that you can rev higher, which is where most of the power is gained when you are dealing with a stage 2 or so cam. You'll also need better flowing heads, which I see is already on your list. I don't think that there are many head options available for the 2V, other than getting a set that have a P & P job done to them. If I got anything wrong, or missed something, I'm sure someone else will fill in the gaps.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
stangy004
2nd Gear Member

ya what he said
Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

not to oppose you or anything, but i called my mustang source today, hes the guy i get all my parts from, i asked about the "blower" cam and asked whether or not i needed with the blower, he said theres no such thing, ive heard a few people talk about em but never really explain em, so whats the difference in a blower cam and standard cam, and on the head subject, if i go stage 1 im just gonna p and p my heads, since the PI heads are already pretty good. the bottom end will come after the blower, the GT crank is strong enough to handle the power i will be givin it, for right now, but yes i will later forge the bottom end, but back on topic, how much of a difference is there between a stage 1 and 2 cam as far as performance and sound, and will i need more fuel since i have more airflow???
Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I've heard good things about VTengines.com and Livornois motorsports for heads. However, they are reworked factory castings and there are no true aftermarket heads for the 4.6. I've heard that patriot heads had issues early on, but don't know about today's quality.

The stage 1 comp cam will not give you the lope you desire, but will work with the stock motor and give a few ponies. Nothing else needs to be done.

Stage 2 comp cams will work on a stock motor provided you replace valve springs and tune it. You should also look at new gears, say 3.55 or better. Like they said above, stock heads do not flow well enough to see all the potential. One plus for the stage 2s is that there range is 1800-5800 rpm, which works fine for a stock bottom end. You may want to upgrade to #24 injectors and make sure the MAF is tuned for them.

If you're indeed planning on going FI, I'd build the bottom end first, then get heads and blower cams. With that, you should be able to put down some serious numbers, just don't forget the suspension work needed to put all that power to the ground.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

so for the stage 2 all i would need is different valve springs, am i going to notice decent gains off the cams, and yea i got a tuner but its just the sct, if i get all this done then ima take it and get it dynoed and tuned professionally. as far as the bottom end, i cant afford to build it right now, im almost done with college but this is the time when i have to study most, and then work to make payments on my apartment and stuff like that, so ill just keep the boost down until i can get a stonger bottom end. i really appreciate the input
Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

so for the stage 2 all i would need is different valve springs, am i going to notice decent gains off the cams, and yea i got a tuner but its just the sct, if i get all this done then ima take it and get it dynoed and tuned professionally. as far as the bottom end, i cant afford to build it right now, im almost done with college but this is the time when i have to study most, and then work to make payments on my apartment and stuff like that, so ill just keep the boost down until i can get a stonger bottom end. i really appreciate the input
The SCT is a fine tuner and make sure the guys at the dyno dial in the A/F ratio. With P&P'd heads and stage 2 cams, I would not be surprised to see 40rwhp based on the mods you have now. Again, #24 injectors may be necessary.

I understand about college and cars. I'm full time Army, husband, father, and college student. Not enough time or money. You're smarter than I was getting school out of the way now. I wish I'd done the same, but instead, I'm almost 40 and still chasing a bachelors. I have 4 more classes for this bachelors and maybe one for my 'other' bachelors degree. I plan to retire in 2008 or 2009, and I need either/both before I walk into civilian life.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yea i hear ya, im in a & p school, IE aviation maintenance. i have 1 semester left and then im done, ill be gettin married soon so im tryin to get my young and dumb days over with now before i have a family, and yes my girlfriend is in love with mustangs and shes moddin hers too but responsibily comes first. damn i sound like an ol man. anyway i know the 2v isnt gonna make oodles of power, but i want somethin, and i also want that hard lope that comes with serious cams. as far as injectors go, can i stick with my stock injectors for a while til i get my blower cuz the kit comes with 42# injectors, so its kinda wasted money. i dunno, this is a hard decision.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

not to oppose you or anything, but i called my mustang source today, hes the guy i get all my parts from, i asked about the "blower" cam and asked whether or not i needed with the blower, he said theres no such thing, ive heard a few people talk about em but never really explain em, so whats the difference in a blower cam and standard cam, and on the head subject, if i go stage 1 im just gonna p and p my heads, since the PI heads are already pretty good. the bottom end will come after the blower, the GT crank is strong enough to handle the power i will be givin it, for right now, but yes i will later forge the bottom end, but back on topic, how much of a difference is there between a stage 1 and 2 cam as far as performance and sound, and will i need more fuel since i have more airflow???

thats not true blower cams have a bigger exhaust duration than NA cams. stick blower cams on an NA car and itll loose power. get a good stage 2 NA cam and it will work wellwith your supercharger. you will need new valve springs and ported heads to really allow the cams to take full effect.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

go stage 1 unless you are going to forge the block later on. stage 2 cams see their peak hp higher than our rev limiter.

Quick Reply: 2v question??