4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

F/I and Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default F/I and Suspension

It seems to me that much more people have Superchargers on their 4.6L's than a turbo application. Why is this? Whats the advantage? Do Mustangs seem to perform better with them or is it all just preference?

Also, if I ever get enough money to upgrade my suspension, what should be the single ONE thing I should upgrade? I read the suspension sticky in the tech one I think, and it seemed to have a lot of negative effects to doing suspension mods like messing up alignment and geometry and stuff of the car. That makes me sort of anxious to mess with my suspension. I would like to know whats one, good, safe thing to get to improve my handling and traction in general.

Side question: I see a lot of Eibach pro kits, what do those have, is that just for lowering or does that include a buncha stuff? Are they worth it?

I was just pondering these questions today, I know they're all bundled in one thread so help me out. Sorry.
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: F/I and Suspension

bump, a little help guys?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

IMO there aren't alot of turbo'd stangs out there because most speed shops can do a S/C install...Most can't do turbo's ....right. I have niether on my car so I can't be much help other than what I read in magazines, sorry.
ORIGINAL: handyandy

It seems to me that much more people have Superchargers on their 4.6L's than a turbo application. Why is this? Whats the advantage? Do Mustangs seem to perform better with them or is it all just preference?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks blue, any suggestions on suspension anyone?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

the prokits are pretty common because it only drops the car about 1.2 1.3 inches, it just gets rid of the 4X4 look. doesnt get the car too low(great if your running LTs on a DD). also you dont need to get C/C plates with it. but you do need a alignment.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

the SC is more popular because its is cheaper and easier to install, a SC kit is generally a DIY for most people. with a turbo you need all custom exhaust etc. or have to buy a real expensive kit.

there are alot of good suspension upgrades for stangs, check out maximummotorsports.com.

the eibach pro kit is just 4 lowering springs that have a progressive rate. they'll drop a stang about 1.5"

Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Anyone have the pro kit without LT's? I wanna know if I could get one and still have okay clearance for speedbumps with just a catback.

And besides lowering. To go with a pro kit, or instead of a pro kit, whats just ONE thing that wouldn't mess up a bunch of stuff. Lower Control Arms? I dunno.

EDIT: I just looked up the pro kit and some website has this...whats the difference between the "drag launch kit" for an extra 20 bucks to the regular lowering springs? And what exactly does "progressive" mean? Also, does anyone have any before and/or after pics, how big of a difference is between 1.5 inches and 2 inches really? I'd like to see a 1.5 inch drop and a 2. Any pics would be sweet.

Lowering Kit

Fits: 1996 to 2004 Ford Mustang GT V8 4.6 281 MFI

Notes: Pro-Kit; Lowering Coil Springs; Front w/1.5 in. Drop; Rear w/1.5 in. Drop; Coupe (2 Door) $237.46
Free Shipping
Lowering Kit

Fits: 1996 to 2004 Ford Mustang GT V8 4.6 281 MFI

Notes: Drag Launch Kit; Front w/1.5 in. Drop; Rear w/1.5 in. Drop; Coupe (2 Door) $251.07
Free Shipping
Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

i know people with sportlines and l/ts they say as long as you crawl the bumps and curbs things are ok.. and the sportlines drop 2in
Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

The number one reason you don't see a lot of turbo set ups in MONEY!!!

Custom turbo set-ups are outrageous and the kits that are available on the market right now are relatively high compared to a s/c kit.

Most people who buy a s/c set up don't want the extra expense of rebuilding the stock motor to handle high horsepower. So, dropping 4k on a s/c kit that makes under 400hp makes sence. Investing 8k on a twin turbo set up just to blow off most of the boost to stay within the stock motors hp toulerances doesn't make sence.

So, the higher cost of the turbo set up plus the money that will need to be spent on stronger engine internals is most likely the reason you don't see a lot of turbo 'Stangs.

JMO
Old 10-12-2006, 01:22 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Is it necessary to get stronger internals if you get a super charger? If you dont, how long would a stock engine last typically? I have 94,000 miles. I'm not going to get any F/I but would it be able to handle a supercharger without forged stuff?

P.S. I really wanna know about the suspension.

Quick Reply: F/I and Suspension