4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Remote Start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

Default Remote Start!

I am looking into buying a remote start system for my Mustang...I'll be driving it during the winter and I would prefer that it heat up before I start driving it, and of course I want it to be toasty inside.

Anybody have reccomendations? Has anybody installed one of these systems themselves? It seems like it would be a pain in the butt, but worth it...

- Glen
Old 10-13-2006, 05:06 PM
TruckStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Remote Start!

From what I've heard, it is a PITA to out remote start on manual trannys. I have one on my truck, but then again, its also an auto
Old 10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Good luck finding a place to install it.

Youd better read up on how to put one in. May i suggest the 7179xv from viper
Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 PM
01_silverbullet

most car electronics places will install starters on a manual tranny. i used to work at one of these places, and around christmas season we would install prob 2-3 a day on manuals
i have a CompuSTAR 2W900FM(AS), and i love it. i would recommend a starter with a pager, that way you know your car is started or if your alarm is going off. this starter has an alarm with it by the way, which i would also recommend.
and yes the starter is more difficult to install on a manual. but i know it can be done on 99+ stangs because i have one on my 01 GT.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Tried a DIY with a Hornet system on my truck and it was a pain in the butt. Definitely have it installed by a shop no matter if its an auto or manual. Atleast you can go back and have them figure out what the problem is if something went haywire.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Its not too hard if you understand electonics/wiring but it is tedious. Look around your area for a shop that will do it. Many in my area won't because its illegal to install one on a manual. My friend actually left his 90gt in 1st gear while he was trying to start it with the remote. The car jumped forward a few times and hit a wall. Did alitle damage but it was more funny then anything. I have an Alpine alarm with a dei remote start attachment.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
01_silverbullet

i dont think its illegal, but you can only do it on newer cars. it works off of a neutral safety switch and the parking brake. the only way mine will start is when you are about to turn the car off, 1) put it in neutral, 2) pull the parking brake while keeping your foot on the brake, 3) take ur foot off the brake and take the keys out, 4) now the car should still be running, 5) once you get out and shut the door the car shuts off and the alarm will arm. once armed the pager will inform you, that you did it right.
now this may differ a little from the manufacture of the starter, but usually most are pretty close
it sounds like alot but i do it as a habit now.

hope this helps
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 PM
jst854
2nd Gear Member

how much is it about to get one of these installed?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Depends on what shops you have around you. I paid $50 to have my remote starter installed on my Titan.

I'd recommend against installing the remote start yourself. If you are on here asking for recommendations, that's a tell-all sign about staying away from doing yourself.

Last thing you want to do is start an electrical nightmare in your car.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
jst854
2nd Gear Member

exactly, i would defanitely have it professionally installed, thats why i asked how much, its also not for my stang, its would be for my girlfriends car

Quick Reply: Remote Start!