4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 PM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

Default O2 Sensor

its been a month since i put on my mac o/r h-pipe and today my check engine light came on. at first i thought damn mil's failed but when i looked under the carthe zip ties i put on had gotten loose and the passenger rear O2 sensor got dragged across the ground and damaged. well i unhooked my battery for a couple of minutes and the check engine light has gone away but im wondering what will a damaged rear O2 sensor do to the performance of the car and will it have any effect of gas mileage?

-Archemy
Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O2 Sensor

bump
Old 10-15-2006, 01:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im pretty sure the only function the rear 02 sensors have is to make sure ur cats are working properly, thats why people usually turn them off with a tuner
Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

wait a minute, your o2 sensor fell out? anyway, the main purpose of the rear sensors is to monitor the efficiency of the cats and let you know if they're not working properly via the CEL. only the fronts control how the engine runs, believe it or not i've been driving around without mils for almost a year and my car runs fine
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

you said you have mils. just plug the o2 sensor back in and dont worry about it. the mils send a resistance so that it tricks the comp that they are working right. so even with bad o2 sensors you will be fine with mils. so dont worry bout it
Old 10-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

my car tripped the cel because of an o/r x pipe and it runs like ****. I have to keep unhooking the battery to turn the light off until I can get my hands on a tuner. My mils didnt work. The car runs great until the cel comes on, then it idles really rough and stalls sometimes, until I unhook the battery and start all over again. The rear O2s on my car definately effect its performance.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

first time i've ever heard that, are you sure that's the only code it's throwing?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:26 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

well it definately was running fine when the light came on. i just wanted to make sure they wouldnt effect performance, the mils are working fine its the O2 sensor itself that is messed up. i can live with the CEL on until i can get a new O2 sensor.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:22 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

the rear o2 sensors read but with the mils on them they throw a resistance in the line before it sends to the computer saying everything is working great. so dont even worry about it.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

my car tripped the cel because of an o/r x pipe and it runs like ****. I have to keep unhooking the battery to turn the light off until I can get my hands on a tuner. My mils didnt work. The car runs great until the cel comes on, then it idles really rough and stalls sometimes, until I unhook the battery and start all over again. The rear O2s on my car definately effect its performance.
My friend's eclipse GT is running like sh*t as well... the rear o2 sensors have failed out about a year ago... and she has been driving around without them... some mechanic tried to get her to believe her car is going to blow up eventually (BULL) but it really is running bad.... it guzzles gas worse than my 4.6, and when we were in a parking lot, after starting it up the rpm's started fluctuating between "almost stall" and 1000... but once she got back out onto the street it was running fine... so I think that there can be prolonged problems...

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor