4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SMOKED BY AN M3....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 AM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SMOKED BY AN M3....

Reckless.Tim----- that stang is bad man. i love that MIAMI DOLPHIN ORANGE. well, thats what i call it, cuz there my team.
Intruder----what is the highest compression you can run with out blowin it up? 14:1??
Old 08-01-2004, 03:50 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder
what do u mean by "compression"??...can someone explain it to me...
Okay, this ones tough to do w/ words and still keep it short, but I'll try. ... When the piston is all the way down, and the valves are closed that would be the big number. .... (that's not very clear....) .... (I'll use my car as an example) I run 10:1 compression ratio. So when my piston is all the way down in the cylindar, I have 10 times the amount of space open in the cylindar than I do when the piston is at the top of it's stroke, and the spark hits. A higher compression ratio will not give you more power per say, but will give you a much crisper responce out of your car. I don't know if this gets it across or not, but let me know, and I'll try again.
no thanks that helped out alot...so a smaller compression isnt good?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:02 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder
what do u mean by "compression"??...can someone explain it to me...
Okay, this ones tough to do w/ words and still keep it short, but I'll try. ... When the piston is all the way down, and the valves are closed that would be the big number. .... (that's not very clear....) .... (I'll use my car as an example) I run 10:1 compression ratio. So when my piston is all the way down in the cylindar, I have 10 times the amount of space open in the cylindar than I do when the piston is at the top of it's stroke, and the spark hits. A higher compression ratio will not give you more power per say, but will give you a much crisper responce out of your car. I don't know if this gets it across or not, but let me know, and I'll try again.

Here you go. This is the math.

Effective compression is the sum of the static compression, plus the additional compression added to the cylinder by a turbo or super charger, or any other forced induction tool for that matter. Effective compression is defined by the following formula:
E = C((B / 14.7) + 1)
Where E= Effective Compression, B= boost psi, and C= Static compression. Also remember that 14.7 is equal to 1 bar of boost.

Low static compression / High boost
High static compression / Low boost
Medium static compression / Medium boost
Low static compression / High boost

naturally aspirated power is always superior, without a doubt. The power delivery is more predictable, the throttle response is better, it produces less heat, and finally, the torque curve is a lot flatter.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Reckless.Tim
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 01GTvertible

Reckless.Tim----- that stang is bad man. i love that MIAMI DOLPHIN ORANGE. well, thats what i call it, cuz there my team.
Intruder----what is the highest compression you can run with out blowin it up? 14:1??
It's actually known as "Please pull me over Orange" or as Ford calls it Competition Orange
Old 08-01-2004, 07:36 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

A few questions were asked, and I'll try to hit them.... To the question what what the highest compression ratio you can safely run in a car.... It really depends on a lot of things, and it's not something that can be adjusted at the turn of a ****. The higher your compression ratio is, the more pressure there is in the combustion chamber before it lights off. It's all going to depend on your rings and seals, as well as your vavles (I'm guessing on the last part). My engine stock can run 11.1:1 and still be safe. But to do that, I would need to change out half the engine. Decreasing compression is much easier to do. And while it may sound counter productive, the lower your compression ratio, the more boost you can throw into the mix. And a unit of boost is much more potent than a unit of compression. On my stock engine, I can only run about 7lbs of boost without really taking my chances. But if I were to lower my compression ratio to say 8.5:1 ..... LOL it would be on, because I'd be running like 20lbs of boost. So everything is give and take, as always. Oh, and JD... that 14.7 is also called an atmosphere. At see level, the air pressure pressing down on your body (or into your engine) is 14.7 pounds. So when you hear of divers going down 5 atmospheres, that is already (almost) 75psi pressing down on them. Go deep enough, and even the toughest submarines will be crushed. Just a little trivia. Oh, and I think your explination was much simpler and easier to understand than mine was. LOL