4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

T-45 Clutch Change difficulty??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Default T-45 Clutch Change difficulty??

Hey guys, think my clutch needs replacing soon. My 2000 GT has about 42,000 on it. Want to replace the clutch, but how hard is it to do? Or how much will it cost to replace. I'm thinking of going with a King Cobra, anygood? What do you guys think about which brand and if I should do myself or just take it in. I am pretty good friends with some good mechanics. You guys got any links on installation procedures? All the help will be appreciated. Oh, I have a slightly modded car with 3.73 gears, DiabloSport tune, stock T-45 tranny, differential Ford Racing support girdle, Pro 5.0 Ripper shifter, K&N CAI. Thanks guys!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: T-45 Clutch Change difficulty??

I put that same clutch in my car and it's been great. No complaints. It's not terribly hard to do. I took a tranny out of an '03 in 25 minutes at work. It normally takes longer, but the exhaust bolts came right out. I don't know of any link to replace a clutch, but I can give you some step-by-steps... First disconnect the battery and support the trans tail shaft. Disconnect:

-trans crossmember (4 bolts and it's off)
-driveshaft (4 bolts in back and slide out the front)
-clutch linkage (plate on driver's side of trans held on by 2 10mm bolts, then pull off linkage)
-mid pipe (driver's side is easier, you may want to remove the starter to get the passenger side off - when replacing the starter bolts when done, put the top bolt on the other way to make it easier to remove later if needed - you'll understand when you see it) - Since it's out, you may just want to replace it with a new O/R h-pipe!
-bellhousing bolts (there are 8 I think, you'll need a very long extension to get them out - I use a 3 foot extension to get the top ones out

And removing the clutch is all bolts. It's not hard at all, just remember which bolts go where. Make sure to disconnect the battery before you do this, replace or resurface your flywheel, take your time, plan on things going wrong if it's your first time, have at least 1 friend who is mechanically inclined, a couple hands, air tools, a jack for the trans, and some PB blaster or something like that for stubborn bolts.

That's a basic list. I'm sure there will be some suprises along the way. Good luck with it and keep us informed.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Thanks 96Gt, you helped me out a lot. After reading a few other posts, I have decided not to change for a while. I know I need a new throwout bearing, but my clutch isn't slipping yet. I figure I will beat on it at least one more summer. I have recently replace my stock h pipe with an off road prochamber from Mac. While I did that I ended up replacing the manifold studs so I won't have any problems taking that off again. I forgot to mention that in my mods list. Probably would have been a good idea to tell you. Well, I will definatly change it myself and go with the King Cobra, everyone seems to like it. So thanks again
Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

I put that same clutch in my car and it's been great. No complaints. It's not terribly hard to do. I took a tranny out of an '03 in 25 minutes at work. It normally takes longer, but the exhaust bolts came right out. I don't know of any link to replace a clutch, but I can give you some step-by-steps... First disconnect the battery and support the trans tail shaft. Disconnect:

-trans crossmember (4 bolts and it's off)
-driveshaft (4 bolts in back and slide out the front)
-clutch linkage (plate on driver's side of trans held on by 2 10mm bolts, then pull off linkage)
-mid pipe (driver's side is easier, you may want to remove the starter to get the passenger side off - when replacing the starter bolts when done, put the top bolt on the other way to make it easier to remove later if needed - you'll understand when you see it) - Since it's out, you may just want to replace it with a new O/R h-pipe!
-bellhousing bolts (there are 8 I think, you'll need a very long extension to get them out - I use a 3 foot extension to get the top ones out

And removing the clutch is all bolts. It's not hard at all, just remember which bolts go where. Make sure to disconnect the battery before you do this, replace or resurface your flywheel, take your time, plan on things going wrong if it's your first time, have at least 1 friend who is mechanically inclined, a couple hands, air tools, a jack for the trans, and some PB blaster or something like that for stubborn bolts.

That's a basic list. I'm sure there will be some suprises along the way. Good luck with it and keep us informed.
thats an extension, and also perhaps the most concise directions i've ever seen for removing a tranny
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

you have to take the starter off regardless, and i know first hand..the top starter bolt is a pain in the a**!!! make sure you have at least a case or more and a buddy or 2 helping you along the way, makes it that much easier. Pay someone the 250-300 for the install that most shops charge, it's worth it
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

i removed my h pipe failry easily without taking the starter off. just use a lONG extension and one of those flez joints by the socket.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fishyducky

i removed my h pipe failry easily without taking the starter off. just use a lONG extension and one of those flez joints by the socket.

You have to remove the starter when you remove the tranny to change the clutch. The 3rd top bolt on it is a complete and absolute bitch; unless you have your kmember out and can get to it from the wheel well.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

The starter needs to come out to do the clutch. And for those who have done it before, you know what I mean about putting the top bolt in the oppisite way.
Monch - I shortened it and got right to the key points. He told me he has friends that are mechanically inclinded and if that's true, they should be able to do it.
And +1 fishyducky on using the flex (swivel) sockets.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

The starter needs to come out to do the clutch. And for those who have done it before, you know what I mean about putting the top bolt in the oppisite way.
Monch - I shortened it and got right to the key points. He told me he has friends that are mechanically inclinded and if that's true, they should be able to do it.
And +1 fishyducky on using the flex (swivel) sockets.
i wasn't complaining, quite the opposite, i thought they were really good for being so short.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

My bad. I guess it's just me. You know how us people from New York are. Ha ha...

Quick Reply: T-45 Clutch Change difficulty??