4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

low compression with no boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default low compression with no boost

How much power would I lose if I used a forged short block with low compression (8:1) that was designed for f/i but ran it n/a? Reason I ask is I need a new motor and a forged short block is looking like the only viable option.

I really want to add a blower but dont have the money now. It would suck to have a block with 9+:1 compression built then want to f/i it later. Its one of those do it once, do it right things. So what would I lose if I had a low compression motor n/a and drove on that until I had the money to f/i it?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: low compression with no boost

You can still run boost with higher compression... whoever tells you that you can't is wrong. Compression = power, that's all there is to it.

I can't say exactly how much power you'll lose with the lower compression, you'll definitely notice it feeling weaker, especially down low... I want to say somewhere around 10% power for 2 points of compression but don't hold me to that at all. You'll be fine driving around N/A with a low compression block, though, you'll get better gas mileage and more power with a higher compression one.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

You can still run boost with higher compression... whoever tells you that you can't is wrong. Compression = power, that's all there is to it.

I can't say exactly how much power you'll lose with the lower compression, you'll definitely notice it feeling weaker, especially down low... I want to say somewhere around 10% power for 2 points of compression but don't hold me to that at all. You'll be fine driving around N/A with a low compression block, though, you'll get better gas mileage and more power with a higher compression one.
I don't want to hijack thread but i am going through the same angst but in reverse. I want to run higher comp and boost, but every one with certain exceptions say it's a bad idea. Why? What is supposed to happen? Too much heat build up? In the old days we were always trying to get comp up, shaving heads, domed pistons etc. comp does = power ( lower end gruntage)
Old 10-17-2006, 03:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Detonation is the problem. Unless you like the idea of running around with 110+ octane gas in the tank (6.00+ bucks a gallon anyone?) you can't do it.

If your going to rebuild the shortblock for boost, the only way to go is a lower compression engine. Lowering the compression WILL cost you power n/a, and with no other changes will acutally lower it FI. The difference is, you can run more timing and more boost on the same engine with a lower compression ratio, and thus make more power overall.

I would say, if you have to buy a shortblock now get the lower compression setup, and then just put up with making less power for now. I honestly cannot give you an accurate idea of what it will cost you, but it probably will be fairly significant.

The gains in the end will far outweigh the costs now though.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I did the PI swap and have 10.5:1 compression. I now have a Vortech S/C (see sig) and running about 8 psi on stock internals. Sure if I had the extra cash I would of went with the forged internals but not so in my case. I have a good tune on it and I'll be fine. I am not gonna beat the p*ss out of it!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

BTW, I have NO detonation problems on 93 octane!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:59 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

I did the PI swap and have 10.5:1 compression. I now have a Vortech S/C (see sig) and running about 8 psi on stock internals. Sure if I had the extra cash I would of went with the forged internals but not so in my case. I have a good tune on it and I'll be fine. I am not gonna beat the p*ss out of it!!!
Just make sure you get a great tune, and run high octane gas. From what I have seen, with the higher compression you have to run less timing even with 8 PSI, and will end up making less power than a PI swapped car.

No question if you want to run big boost numbers and street gas you need to run a lower compression setup .
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Just make sure you get a great tune, and run high octane gas. From what I have seen, with the higher compression you have to run less timing even with 8 PSI, and will end up making less power than a PI swapped car.

No question if you want to run big boost numbers and street gas you need to run a lower compression setup .
Less power than a PI swapped car??? Check my sig, 355 rwhp but that's all I'm gonna do to stay safe
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Ok...so If ive got this right, a stock compression ratio would be fine for a streetable f/i car (99+ pi) making about 400-450rwhp with forged internals and 93 pump gas? Im not looking for anything over 450rwhp out of this car...but I want to run it on pump gas. Any really serious hp numbers would require the lower compression and massive ammouts of boost which is not what Im after...correct?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
draymer

Somebody throw me a bone here -- my toy, prior the stang was an 03 Evo VIII (may it rest in peace); I was running .2 more than stock, just around 9.0:1 compression ratio and running 24psi of boost (turbo). Now, I would think that anything less than 12psi would be completely safe with stock compression, 9psi or less for stock internals (else replace your head studs, head gaskets, et cetera). Higher than that, I would say you need to run a lower compression ratio.

You definately need to run 93 octane gas (or if you unluckly enough to live in that 91 octane state, well make due) if you are going to use forced induction, and get a decent tune to avoid detonation.

My opinion, with this and $3 you can get that beer at happy hour; your mileage may vary.

-- Dave

Quick Reply: low compression with no boost