4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

low compression with no boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: low compression with no boost

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

How much power would I lose if I used a forged short block with low compression (8:1) that was designed for f/i but ran it n/a? Reason I ask is I need a new motor and a forged short block is looking like the only viable option.

I really want to add a blower but dont have the money now. It would suck to have a block with 9+:1 compression built then want to f/i it later. Its one of those do it once, do it right things. So what would I lose if I had a low compression motor n/a and drove on that until I had the money to f/i it?
you don't need to go that low on the C/R unless you are gonna be running a Turbo setup at 30psi...You can stay at stock C/R with boost on a forged shortblock and run a good amount of boost. What type of blower are you getting? If your getting a KB then slightly lower C/R will benefit longeveity and tunity...if its a Centri the the 9.3ish stock C/R is just fine.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

You can still run boost with higher compression... whoever tells you that you can't is wrong. Compression = power, that's all there is to it.

I can't say exactly how much power you'll lose with the lower compression, you'll definitely notice it feeling weaker, especially down low... I want to say somewhere around 10% power for 2 points of compression but don't hold me to that at all. You'll be fine driving around N/A with a low compression block, though, you'll get better gas mileage and more power with a higher compression one.
Anything beyond 9.8:1 on your compression with FI you are going to seriously compromising the engines durability. I don't care how GOOD your tune is. It's called the law of diminished returns. 8.1-8.5:1 is ideal for engines that you plan on running boost on. Anything beyond that and you start to lose the top end on the amount of boost you can run. Now you could always go out and get 101 or 105+ octane fuel to compensate for high boost and high compression but I doubt someone who is looking for an agressive DD is going to want to pay the outrageous cost of that fuel.

The general rule of thumb is as follows
8.1-8.7:1 = Great for high boost
8.8-9.7 = Great for moderate to low boost
9.8 and above = Great for N/A engines
10:1 and above = ONLY for N/A engines unless you plan on running drag fuel.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:35 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

You can still run boost with higher compression... whoever tells you that you can't is wrong. Compression = power, that's all there is to it.

I can't say exactly how much power you'll lose with the lower compression, you'll definitely notice it feeling weaker, especially down low... I want to say somewhere around 10% power for 2 points of compression but don't hold me to that at all. You'll be fine driving around N/A with a low compression block, though, you'll get better gas mileage and more power with a higher compression one.
I don't want to hijack thread but i am going through the same angst but in reverse. I want to run higher comp and boost, but every one with certain exceptions say it's a bad idea. Why? What is supposed to happen? Too much heat build up? In the old days we were always trying to get comp up, shaving heads, domed pistons etc. comp does = power ( lower end gruntage)
The difference from the old days is the EFI system...having high compression and boost makes it more difficult to get a great tune. Also leaded gas was a bonus for making power. Today if you want high C/R and lots of boost you will need race fuel to keep detonation at bay...this is why PI swapped cars and boost won't last long if beat on. The stock rods and pistons won't take the abuse long.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:41 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Ok...so If ive got this right, a stock compression ratio would be fine for a streetable f/i car (99+ pi) making about 400-450rwhp with forged internals and 93 pump gas? Im not looking for anything over 450rwhp out of this car...but I want to run it on pump gas. Any really serious hp numbers would require the lower compression and massive ammouts of boost which is not what Im after...correct?
if all you want to run is about 400-450 whp (430 or so lets call it) there isn't any reason to be rebuilding your shortblock.