4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers or heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
draymer

Default RE: Headers or heads?

+1 -- I'm starting down this road now, I should be bankrupt by the end of next year

ORIGINAL: radaman

ORIGINAL: 40thgtfl

Well its time for the next round of mods, what should i do next? i already have an intake, catback, offroad x, preditor tuner, 75mm tb and plenum. i am thinking of either long tubes and gears or heads and cams. or maybe just one of the 4 i dont know. i like the way the car is geared now and i would never go 4:10s ( lot of roll racing in south florida) so it would only be 3.73s. i am looking for a big improvement. what do you guys think? she runs preaty good now, i am dead even with 05+ stangs i would like to know i can get down with an ls1 if i need to.
Well knowing what I know now about mustangs I would mod my car as follows...forged bottom, full exhaust (it compliments everything esle), 3600 stall(3disc), 3:90 gears, KB 2.2, heads/cams, and finally the built rear end and full suspension. I'd have a 600+ rwhp/10 sec dependable street car for about an extra 20K .
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

ur gunna fear going with 4.10s? if you do alot of roll racing what is wrong with 4.10s? you must not know all about the gears and what they do with your car? do you think they limit your cars top spead that much? i mean what do u race till 130? thats a long *** race for your car hahaha...
going from any roll if the same car pulled up to you with 4.10s, hed beat you.. 4.10s still pull in 5th gear... but i guess uve already decided on 3.90s.. lol... its so different from GTs to cobras lol.. cobras go at least 4.10s and most go with 4.30s, then 4.56s if they run the track more.. but the 4v loves to rev high so..

anyways what kind of heads are you talking about? if u want new heads that already a grand plus right there... so why not take the money for heads and cams and buy a used vortech kit for 1800???? i dont get it, that would actually be your best route.. then just tone it down a little and put it on a safe tune until you redo the bottom end and internals...
thats my thought on it... if ur gunna end up forkin out 1800 anyways, actually more than that.. over 2k? just get a used SC kit... ive seen many people do it, and theres nothing wrong with it... ide do it if i had the $$$$....
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 PM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

ur gunna fear going with 4.10s? if you do alot of roll racing what is wrong with 4.10s? you must not know all about the gears and what they do with your car? do you think they limit your cars top spead that much? i mean what do u race till 130? thats a long *** race for your car hahaha...
going from any roll if the same car pulled up to you with 4.10s, hed beat you.. 4.10s still pull in 5th gear... but i guess uve already decided on 3.90s.. lol... its so different from GTs to cobras lol.. cobras go at least 4.10s and most go with 4.30s, then 4.56s if they run the track more.. but the 4v loves to rev high so..

anyways what kind of heads are you talking about? if u want new heads that already a grand plus right there... so why not take the money for heads and cams and buy a used vortech kit for 1800???? i dont get it, that would actually be your best route.. then just tone it down a little and put it on a safe tune until you redo the bottom end and internals...
thats my thought on it... if ur gunna end up forkin out 1800 anyways, actually more than that.. over 2k? just get a used SC kit... ive seen many people do it, and theres nothing wrong with it... ide do it if i had the $$$$....
Yeah, a lot of my runs do go up to the 120-130 range, damn srt-4 drivers always want high rolls. Perhaps you don’t understand how gears work, 4.10s in a GT limits 4th gear to 110mph unlike your T56 cobra my fifth is the same ratio as your sixth (.62) not .80 like your fifth. Now imagine with your 4.10 gears shifting at 110mph into sixth and trying to race. Even your mighty terminator would get walked. A used supercharger scares me and I haven’t seen many around for less than 3k, but it’s not a bad idea. If I went heads and cams I would do the patriot set up, I think it’s around $1500 for the heads and cams.
right now i am thinking that a short shifter, Underdrives and 3.90s may be the ticket then keep saving for the blower.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Gears and some nitrous...don't fear the spray.

thats not a bad idea, what did you do for the tune on your 100 shot? what kit are you running?
I'm running a nx kit, with 100 jets in there currently. NX only makes wet kits and I would suggest a wet kit, but others will say no. It's all up to you...As far as tuning goes, right now I have the timing bumped WAY down via my handheld tuner. I was gonna get a dyno tune a little big ago, but I have plans for the winter, so I decided to just hold off till I do heads/cams.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, a lot of my runs do go up to the 120-130 range, damn srt-4 drivers always want high rolls. Perhaps you don’t understand how gears work, 4.10s in a GT limits 4th gear to 110mph unlike your T56 cobra my fifth is the same ratio as your sixth (.62) not .80 like your fifth. Now imagine with your 4.10 gears shifting at 110mph into sixth and trying to race. Even your mighty terminator would get walked. A used supercharger scares me and I haven’t seen many around for less than 3k, but it’s not a bad idea. If I went heads and cams I would do the patriot set up, I think it’s around $1500 for the heads and cams.
right now i am thinking that a short shifter, Underdrives and 3.90s may be the ticket then keep saving for the blower.
Ok... good point.. now.. let me try.. I drive a 1996 cobra.. i dont have 6 gears, i have 5.. my car has a t45 tranny.. which sucks ***** actually...
here are my gear ratios as of 3.27s
1st 3.37 45 (72)
2nd 1.99 77 (124)
3rd 1.33 115 (185)
4th 1.00 152 (245)
5th 0.67 - - -

now if i were to jump to 4.10s which are coming soon.. my 5th gear would pull like my 4th gear.. now 3.90s will pull also, but not liek 4.10s... and u will not lose as much high end as you think... so even with ur roll racing(hahahahaha)... ull pull harder in the higher gears with a higher set of gears... im just trying to help, not prove u wrong...
3k for used vortec kit? thats almost the price for a new kit... yea the heads and cams for a stage 2 set would be around 1200... so ide say get that... ude really notice the difference and i think ude be happy... that and throw in some gears.. and itl be like a brand new car... i hope you figure out what u want.. but keep talkin here man.. ima keep arguing with ur *** LOL until we get settled on the best thing for your car and you.. wait u have what year GT? ill find a used kit for you...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
00ModGT
2nd Gear Member

i voted for 3.73 due to the fact that i got them and they held me over for a little while till i get a blower. But the longterm goal was to save and get the supercharger. Any of those choices are fine though.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I say gears first. Then buy heads, cams, and LTs. It would be easier to install these three all at once. With all that in, you're be ready to add a huffer and get max potential (from the stock block, anyway).
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Phirantes
2nd Gear Member

Depends on if a S/C is really in the near future, if not, I would say go with the gears. I know you said you'd never go to 4.10's but they make driving the car so much more fun. I live in orlando and it makes the city driving a thrill. Dropped almost .5 of a second on the 1/4 with just the gears alone (still no d/r's yet....). If you really see a s/c in the future though, 4.10's maybe to much and i would do something else like fineshing up the exhaust.

(then again, MDValdosta went back to 4.10's after he put on his supercharger )
Old 10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

Ok... good point.. now.. let me try.. I drive a 1996 cobra.. i dont have 6 gears, i have 5.. my car has a t45 tranny.. which sucks ***** actually...
here are my gear ratios as of 3.27s
1st 3.37 45 (72)
2nd 1.99 77 (124)
3rd 1.33 115 (185)
4th 1.00 152 (245)
5th 0.67 - - -

now if i were to jump to 4.10s which are coming soon.. my 5th gear would pull like my 4th gear.. now 3.90s will pull also, but not liek 4.10s... and u will not lose as much high end as you think... so even with ur roll racing(hahahahaha)... ull pull harder in the higher gears with a higher set of gears... im just trying to help, not prove u wrong...
3k for used vortec kit? thats almost the price for a new kit... yea the heads and cams for a stage 2 set would be around 1200... so ide say get that... ude really notice the difference and i think ude be happy... that and throw in some gears.. and itl be like a brand new car... i hope you figure out what u want.. but keep talkin here man.. ima keep arguing with ur *** LOL until we get settled on the best thing for your car and you.. wait u have what year GT? ill find a used kit for you...
Crap my bad, i saw the 03 cobra wheels and didnt even look any closer. 4.10s just scare me, i dont want to get murdered when i hit 110. i think roll racing is gay too, but i south florida if you wont run from a roll you dont get much action.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

^ going point on the south florida thing.. lot of imports ae? that sucks lol.... but yea get a used vortec kit... and then get a tune and talk to the people wether after u should throw certian gears on... cuz 4.10s are still dooable with a SC...

Quick Reply: Headers or heads?