4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

GT or Cobra ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 01:51 PM
TBlake

Default GT or Cobra ???

I am looking for a 99+ Mustang that has some major potential. I can't decide between an N/A Cobra or a GT. Am I limiting the potental of my car if I get the GT instead of the Cobra? I know that the Cobra has 4 valves per cylinder versus 2 valves per cylinder in the GT. Are there any other major differences that would limit me on the GT? For example, is an N/A cobra going to support more boost that a GT if I add a blower?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Mystic_Eats_Rice
1st Gear Member

Default RE: GT or Cobra ???

There are several differences between them, cams, heads, hell even the n/a cobra block is aluminum to the gts iron. You need to decide if your into putting alot time in a gt to make it fast or less time in cobra to get the same thing. I don't no about the boost issue, but I think a n/a aluminum cobra block can take a 150 shot, or 5-6 psi of boost w/out going south on you. Another thing, gas is more expensive in a cobra unless you use premium in a gt as well. Good Luck
Old 08-01-2004, 02:04 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The best thing to do is wait till the '05 Mustangs are just about to be released and go snag a '04 Cobra. They are going to dramaticly drop in price. Espically if you can find a used one.

If you dont wanna do that then you would be just as well off buying a '99 Cobra and putting a blower on it. The '99+ GT is really impressive compared to the last models but nothing compared to a blown 4v (if you know how to drive it correctly that is) The stock 99 Cobra may handle just a tiny bit of boost than the GT, simply because its a 4V and can breath a little better, but if you want to press high numbers like 12-20psi then you will need to tear apart and rebuild the bottom end with all forged parts.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

id say get the cobra. it comes with forged internals and can handle quit a bit more than a gt motor. think of the DOHC heads as the most kick *** heads you could get for a regular 2v.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:42 PM
TBlake

It seems like the Cobra is definately the way to go. How much boost are most people putting on the '99 Cobras? Are they staying under 12?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

The cobra's the way to go, I would have got one.... but i refuse to finance anything and i had enough to pay cash for my gt, if had enough for the cobra i would have bought it, but its all in how you look at it i guess. I love my gt now, whatever you buy i doubt you will be dissapointed
Old 08-01-2004, 02:57 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

Well it really depends on what you are planning to do with the car after you've gotten it...If your gonna leave it stock...then the GT is the better buy...The GT perform's almost even or better in some cases than the cobra's, 99 cobra that is. 01 cobra is a bit faster...Now if you're gonna mod your cars then the cobra would be better,because of it's stronger engine...meaning 4 valves compared with 2 of the GT..
Old 08-01-2004, 04:25 PM
TBlake

could I just throw some Cobra heads on a GT later? Is that possible? What kind of benefits will you get from the alluminum block over the cast iron?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:52 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

It is possible but definetly not worth the money at all. I wanted to do the same thing but I decided it wasnt worth it.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:48 PM
TBlake

OK, if I was to get a Cobra, Is there much of a difference between the 97-98 models and the 99-2002 models? I think that the 2003+ will be too expensive cuz of the performance boost that they get with the blower.

Quick Reply: GT or Cobra ???