4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??

ORIGINAL: BBKBadBoy

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

I dug and dug around the toolbox to find the package because I know I kept it but I can't find it. I THINK its 14 mm x 1.25 or 1.50. An auto parts store should be able to help you out a little bit more. The tap had the size on it but it had to be grinded down so that it fit into the spark plug hole and the number got grounded down. I can make out the 14 mm but the other size I can't get. Hope it helps.
haha i found that funny because i work at a parts store, but yea im gonna try the 14mm to see if it works or not
Even better, discount city, or five finger discount or w/e. Do you have any pcits I am curious as to what your car looks like with the 18s and the drop thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I don't know if I would recommend just retapping that hole. All the metal shavings are going to just drop into the cylinder. If your threads are bunged up you might have to take it to a machine shop. Something else to think about is why it did that. Your not running any crazy amount of boost so there shouldn't be that much pressure to just blow a spark plug out of a cylinder. If it just came loose I don't think it would be all smashed up.
It is a very common problem on 2V engines....Helicoil or Timesert are good fixes and many do it on the car with thick grease to catch the shavings. There is a law firm trying to put together a class action lawsuit just like the intake because thousands have had spark plugs blow out. I check mine every few weeks to make sure they are tight.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I dug and dug around the toolbox to find the package because I know I kept it but I can't find it. I THINK its 14 mm x 1.25 or 1.50. An auto parts store should be able to help you out a little bit more. The tap had the size on it but it had to be grinded down so that it fit into the spark plug hole and the number got grounded down. I can make out the 14 mm but the other size I can't get. Hope it helps.
That's probably why I've never seen them work. People don't usually bother to 'size' them appropriately...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

This might sound crazy but, coat the if you chase the threads or do any tapping coat the tool in Crisco This will cause the shavings to stick to the tool and reduce the amount of chips falling into the cylinder.
Tap with it all the time.
My .02 take it or leave it.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

That's probably why I've never seen them work. People don't usually bother to 'size' them appropriately...
Yea you have to be specific on the threads or else the thing isnt going to catch the metal and its either gonna fall into the cylinder(really bad) or blow out(not as bad but still have a problem)
Old 10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
BBKBadBoy
2nd Gear Member

haha i found that funny because i work at a parts store, but yea im gonna try the 14mm to see if it works or not
Even better, discount city, or five finger discount or w/e. Do you have any pcits I am curious as to what your car looks like with the 18s and the drop thanks.
i have to take some new pics, it sits even lower now because i removed the insulators, ill try to get some pics up soon as i can
Old 10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
BBKBadBoy
2nd Gear Member

I tried helicoiling it today and now im running into a problem, the size i used was a 14mm x 1.25, i used the helicoil and i cut a few new threads but when i put the plug in, it still doesnt seem to be catching, so i used to part that comes with the kit that screws on to your plugs and it seems to catch just a lil bit, but i dont want to helicoil it to deeply, because it tightens up at a certain point but im not sure if i should keep going or stop right there
Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

dude, the same exact thing happened to me the other day, i didnt know what it was at first so i had it towed into the shop. At first i thought i might have a valve stuck open and that the piston was hitting it at top dead center. Anyways, it turns out that the same exact thing that happened to you happened to me in exact detail. $400 later and it turns out that it was something that i could have fixed myself. Hopefully it doesnt ever happen again.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMan528

dude, the same exact thing happened to me the other day, i didnt know what it was at first so i had it towed into the shop. At first i thought i might have a valve stuck open and that the piston was hitting it at top dead center. Anyways, it turns out that the same exact thing that happened to you happened to me in exact detail. $400 later and it turns out that it was something that i could have fixed myself. Hopefully it doesnt ever happen again.
Awesome for you? You didn't give him any help though. If you say you could have fixed it yourself give him the tips that you would have used.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.698GTI dug and dug around the toolbox to find the package because I know I kept it but I can't find it. I THINK its 14 mm x 1.25 or 1.50. An auto parts store should be able to help you out a little bit more. The tap had the size on it but it had to be grinded down so that it fit into the spark plug hole and the number got grounded down. I can make out the 14 mm but the other size I can't get. Hope it helps.
I tried helicoiling it today and now im running into a problem, the size i used was a 14mm x 1.25, i used the helicoil and i cut a few new threads but when i put the plug in, it still doesnt seem to be catching, so i used to part that comes with the kit that screws on to your plugs and it seems to catch just a lil bit, but i dont want to helicoil it to deeply, because it tightens up at a certain point but im not sure if i should keep going or stop right there
[:@][:@]

Are you sure the pitch of the plugs is 1.25 or 1.5? You may have gotten the wrong size of thread. mark

Quick Reply: Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??