4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help on choosing longtubes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default Help on choosing longtubes...

I realize there are many threads on this topic, but this IS a discussion board. So, I would appreciate it if I did'nt get any replies on how I should just search threads. I would like to purchase longtubes in the future and I am not quite sure what brand to go with. I have looked into BBK and MAC. These seem to be the most affordable. I dont want to spend more than about $520 on the headers, so SLP is out. Also, I currently have a MAC O/R Prochamber. Does MAC make arms that could connect from the prochamber to the Longtubes without having to purchase a whole new midpipe?

Thank you for your input.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 AM
BBKBadBoy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help on choosing longtubes...

BBK Longtubes all the way, i had a clip of how my car sounds with the BBK LTs it sounds bad ***, a friend of mine had MACs and didnt like them
Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

use the search feature!!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

just kidding[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif], but yeah go with bbk longtube ceramics, i've heard nothing bad about em.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:35 AM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

Ceramics aint going to make a differance on your car. Untill you start puting out outrageous power, it isn't going to matter. As for BBK vs. Mac. I did ALOT of research on this. According to my friend that works in a mustang shop in cali. Most people down there run BBK. Now, on BBK they dent one fo the tubes for clearance of the steering shaft. That is normal, however the Mac's don't have that. I just finished an install of my own long tube Mac headers. They are good, but don't run them open, it works, but it burns alot of gas, doesn't run right unless your flooring it, and has a tendancy to die. These are all because of the lack of mid pipes, which causes there to be little to no backpressure as well as some crappy O2 readings at low RPMs. But, returning to the original topic. Its just a matter of preferance. Buy what works for you price wise. A shop installation will cost you 400-600$ possibly more or less depending on experiance and that stuff. As for a self install, plan for atleast 2-3 full days assuming you know exactly what your going for. Otherwise, it could take alot longer.

Bottom line, pick what YOU want. Mac vs. BBK is a hot subject, but no one seems to have any diffinative evidence to prove one is better than the other. So, pick what costs right. Chrome is good, they will discolor, but they don't corrode, neither do ceramics, but unless your pushing 600hp or so, ceramic isn't going to be any better.

Hope that helps you.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

Ceramics aint going to make a differance on your car. Untill you start puting out outrageous power, it isn't going to matter. As for BBK vs. Mac. I did ALOT of research on this. According to my friend that works in a mustang shop in cali. Most people down there run BBK. Now, on BBK they dent one fo the tubes for clearance of the steering shaft. That is normal, however the Mac's don't have that. I just finished an install of my own long tube Mac headers. They are good, but don't run them open, it works, but it burns alot of gas, doesn't run right unless your flooring it, and has a tendancy to die. These are all because of the lack of mid pipes, which causes there to be little to no backpressure as well as some crappy O2 readings at low RPMs. But, returning to the original topic. Its just a matter of preferance. Buy what works for you price wise. A shop installation will cost you 400-600$ possibly more or less depending on experiance and that stuff. As for a self install, plan for atleast 2-3 full days assuming you know exactly what your going for. Otherwise, it could take alot longer.

Bottom line, pick what YOU want. Mac vs. BBK is a hot subject, but no one seems to have any diffinative evidence to prove one is better than the other. So, pick what costs right. Chrome is good, they will discolor, but they don't corrode, neither do ceramics, but unless your pushing 600hp or so, ceramic isn't going to be any better.

Hope that helps you.
First off ceramic vs chrome has nothing to do with power. Its a different finish. Chrome WILL rust and ceramic won't. Don't waste your money on chrome. As for BBK vs MAC I have heard mixed reviews. I am not sure what you are talking about with your midpipe. Why would you extend it with longtubes? wouldn't you want to shorten it? anyways if your midpipe is compatible with LT's then definately god with MAC. LT's are made to match up with same brand mid-pipes, or at least it is a lot easier.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

Hope that helps you.
First off ceramic vs chrome has nothing to do with power. Its a different finish. Chrome WILL rust and ceramic won't. Don't waste your money on chrome. As for BBK vs MAC I have heard mixed reviews. I am not sure what you are talking about with your midpipe. Why would you extend it with longtubes? wouldn't you want to shorten it? anyways if your midpipe is compatible with LT's then definately god with MAC. LT's are made to match up with same brand mid-pipes, or at least it is a lot easier.
My midpipe looks like this (minus the cats)...

I am wondering if I can buy shorter arms that would connect to the headers without having to buy a whole new midpipe.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Also, what are some good sites to buy headers off of.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 PM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

no the mac prochamber the arms are removable so that long tubes will bolt right up. you dont need anything else. buy the mac's so it will match up better.

Quick Reply: Help on choosing longtubes...