4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine bay detailing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:26 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default Engine bay detailing

I just bought an 05 ranger 4x4 for my DD. The engine bay is pretty dirty. What do I need to do to get it cleaned up without doing any damage? I`m afraid to power wash it. What would be the best/easiest way to get it clean? How do the detail shops do it? Thanks in advance...
(Also posted in detailing section)
Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine bay detailing

I've heard of people using steam cleaning.

You could also use pressure, but don't get the nozzle too close. The flow of water will remove most of the crud. I'm guessing it's dirt/mud and not grease/oil in that new of a vehicle.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:37 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Really, its pretty much dusty. No grease/grime. If i do hit it lightly with a pressure washer, should I do it with the engine running or not?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:43 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

i would say running or not - However I would say not while the engine is hott - I dont think you need to cover anything - spray it all down with degreaser and then hose it off - then run it as soon as your done - even if it doesnt crank it will dry out in a few days -LOL but dont worry thats not going to happen - just do it and run it or leave it running
Old 10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

If it's just dusty... hit it with an air compressor... that's what I do if it's just dust... it'll blow away mud crud too.. and then use appropriate detailing chems after to shine it up.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:53 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dubarado

If it's just dusty... hit it with an air compressor... that's what I do if it's just dust... it'll blow away mud crud too.. and then use appropriate detailing chems after to shine it up.
I tried that. Didn`t work very well. [&:] Everything in there is so friggin close it`s gonna be a bitch to get it looking good. I wiped it down a bit but its gonna take lots of time and effort to do it like that. [:@] ( I wish I had a pic to show)
Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

that's pretty much what detailing is.... time and effort.... it takes my a half a day (half as in 6-8 hours that I'm awake) to detail my GT... I do it every month... but now that Im at school and don't have a place to do it... I hit up the touchless car wash... But I digress..... the pressure washer might just be it... unless you wnat to keep it dirty.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 AM
JonBeast

Spray it down with degreaser....let it sit, then use a powerwasher and spray it off avoiding any electic harnesses, intake, etc. It will come out looking purrrrrdy
Old 10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

Spray it down with degreaser....let it sit, then use a powerwasher and spray it off avoiding any electic harnesses, intake, etc. It will come out looking purrrrrdy
Doesn't the degreaser have a warning about NOT getting the stuff on a painted surface? How do you keep the stuff (& all the other underhood crap) from splattering on the fenders etc while your powerwashing it off? Or is it OK so long as you powerwash the fenders etc off immediately?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

Doesn't the degreaser have a warning about NOT getting the stuff on a painted surface? How do you keep the stuff (& all the other underhood crap) from splattering on the fenders etc while your powerwashing it off? Or is it OK so long as you powerwash the fenders etc off immediately?
Get some old rags and wrap the major electrical connectors in them.
Any bulkhead connectors on the firewall are a good place to start.

Spray degreaser around being careful not to spray directly into things like alternators, electrical items etc.
Don't just spray the stuff all over, but concentrate on the dirty parts.
Also try and keep it off the belt as much as possible.

If your car is waxed up nice, degreaser won't harm the paint unless you let it sit too long.
If you overspray, just hit it with the hose ASAP.

Let it sit a while and then start hosing down.

Make sure not to spray full force around electrical connections etc.
These things are designed to handle a little water splashing around (ie:the rubber seals and dieelectric grease inside them)
but are not designed to have water sprayed full force at them.

Use the least amount of pressure that works.
A garden hose should be fine.

Let it air dry for a little bit then start the car.
It might run a little rough at first but will smooth out once things dry.

I've been doing this for years on all sorts of cars and the biggest problem is wires that are old (cracks) and getting water near the distributor (obviously not a problem here).

Happy cleaning!!

Quick Reply: Engine bay detailing