4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are long tubes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
MarineNCOIC
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Are long tubes worth it?

Stangc83 was talking about my install. The shop orginaly quoted me for around 8 hours, but I helped out after work for a little while so he said he was only going to charge me for 6. Once everything was done, we were looking at around 14 hours. There were a couple of bolts that were just rediculous to get to. Not to mention all the other little clearance problems under the engine (dipstick, steering column, starter, etc.). After it was all done, I must say its well worth it. Sounds like NASCAR with my o/r x-pipe. Noticeable difference in SOTP dyno, although I did 4.30s at the same time. Deffinately feels way faster.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

If you can do the work yourself, then yes. but if you can't do the work yourself, its in total over $1,000.00, also it's good to tune the car because it can throw your a/f off much easier then other things. but that's just what i experianced, it threw my A/F off by more then a point and a half. but like you said to each there own.
ORIGINAL: 5speedstang

i did it at my house on the ground, had the front tires up on ramps and use a cherry picker and also a jack to jack up the car somemore off the ramps and it took me 3 days. i think the gains are worth it but to each is their own.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything. What mod IS worth the money hp/$ ratio on a N/A 2V though...[:@]
Old 10-22-2006, 10:50 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

If you spend $1000.00 and gain 15rwhp (which is overkill anyway) (400 for longtubes, 200 for midpipe, and 400 for install - all on average) again not including tune, you're looking at $66.66, per 1rwhp. Again, most people need a tune - while you won't see any more gain from a custom tune you can expect another $100-250 bucks. So if you add that, $1250.00 for 15rwhp = $83.33 per 1rwhp. Most people say not to get Underdrive pulleys because you ONLY get 6-8 rwhp, or a TB/Plenum because it's $300.00 and you only get 6-8rwhp. Based on math, 180 bucks for UDP at 6rwhp it's only costing you $30.00 per 1rwhp, and for TB/plenum it's $50.00 per 1rwhp, and that's using the lower end number. Things, that make you want to go, hmmm... Not to mention if you want to ever put a new clutch in, or need to drop the tranny, you can't do so without dropping the longtubes as well. If you can do the work, like I said - you should be ok, and the gain is really worth it. Would anyone here pay $80.00+ for 1rwhp?? I know I wouldn't... Again.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Ok somebody had their tubes fuked up bc my longtubes are loud as hell - I have super 40's not cats and dumps
heres the deal if your goign to keep your cats - then save your money Lt's arent worth it

I have the mac LT's i got them for liek 350 shipped and paid my bud 200 to put em in - they are the next best thing to a gear - the sound alone is worth it- I want to take off my mufflers - its sounds like a fukin stock car. -

next point - none of these bolt on mods are going to make you sick fast - i had higher expectations - but I was just a newbie - the mods are worth it - and when you finnaly do get a power adder your car will be amazing -- next on my list is all of the suspension goodies - full bolt ons and great suspension can make your GT a high to mid 12 sec car - and that aint bad for daily reliablity - then slap on a supercharger with a modest 100 hp gain and your in the low mid 11's.

+ - we didnt drop the suspension to do my LT's - and yes it was an unbelievable pain in the ***.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

If you spend $1000.00 and gain 15rwhp (which is overkill anyway) (400 for longtubes, 200 for midpipe, and 400 for install - all on average) again not including tune, you're looking at $66.66, per 1rwhp. Again, most people need a tune - while you won't see any more gain from a custom tune you can expect another $100-250 bucks. So if you add that, $1250.00 for 15rwhp = $83.33 per 1rwhp. Most people say not to get Underdrive pulleys because you ONLY get 6-8 rwhp, or a TB/Plenum because it's $300.00 and you only get 6-8rwhp. Based on math, 180 bucks for UDP at 6rwhp it's only costing you $30.00 per 1rwhp, and for TB/plenum it's $50.00 per 1rwhp, and that's using the lower end number. Things, that make you want to go, hmmm... Not to mention if you want to ever put a new clutch in, or need to drop the tranny, you can't do so without dropping the longtubes as well. If you can do the work, like I said - you should be ok, and the gain is really worth it. Would anyone here pay $80.00+ for 1rwhp?? I know I wouldn't... Again.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that I doubt UD's will give you 6hp...

Besides, it's all linear, meaning:

- Everything you add after that, will be further enhanced by the fact that your exhaust flows near it's capacity.. Throw a TB/Plenum on there, and I'm willing to bet you gain more than the recommended amount of power..

- Sure, they're a bitch to install, but to me, it's worth it.. Why throw a CAI, or gears in your car?? Same reason most people do; to have more power..

If people learned to do work on their own cars, this discussion wouldn't really be a factor.. If someone wanted to go fast, they'd take the time and do themselves, instead of shelling out insane amounts of money for someone else to do..

No thanks, I like to get my hands dirty..

JT
Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

It doesnt cost 1,000 dollars or more to put on a CAI, TB, gears, etc. I stick by my original statement.. unless you do all the work yourself it's never going to be worth it. Longtubes should be the last thing that you do. I was running Mac LT's, O/R Prochamber and Flowmaster weldins - and it wasn't that loud, unless me and you have two totally different definations of loud (which is easily possible) - it sounded awesome don't get me wrong, just not loud.

Besides gears + tune = more difference then LT's will EVER give you. Yes, and btw, i've seen more then 1 dyno that shows UDP giving you more then 6rwhp, including mine. I no longer have it, because I gave it to the guy I sold my GT too, so im sorry...

I fully understand that headers create better airflow, which gives other things you've installed more power.. but, it's not going to make up for the cost of them (UNLESS YOU DO IT YOURSELF)... and face it, most people on this board either dont have the: Tools, know how or TIME to do an install that takes people that've done it a thousand times 6-8hours to do.

But hey go ahead, and get the headers if you want to, but when you dyno it and you are like "wtf" don't come on here and ask what's wrong. Or when you have to replace your clutch or tranny and they tell you it's going to cost more because they have to pull the engine up to get the headers off so they can work on your tranny/clutch. Save your money for something more worth it, like a Supercharger, or a turbo, or a new engine that can handle more then the 400-450rwhp that the 2v can stock. Although, this is like beating a dead horse so im done - all you people that are N/A that did your headers you will think they're the best because you don't want to admit to yourself that you (like I did) made a mistake in spending over 1,000$ for 10rwhp... because that's what you did.. well in some cases 15rwhp.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

See though, I made the reference to the Cost:HP estimates because if did it yourself, on L/T's, vs. TB/Plenum, take the time estimates, and figure that it'll cost you less money per Hp to do L/T's than to do a TB/Plenum..

But like it's mentioned, that doing it yourself saves loads...

I won't get L/T's because I can't pass State Inspection... However, if I were able to, I'd get them, knowing that my goal for my car is well over 450whp...

Besides, the sound of any headers conquers all...

JT
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 AM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

A lot of people told me that shorties are just as good as long tubes for hp and they cost a lot less. Money isn't an issue since I wanna get what's best. I want my car to sound ****ing rediculous.
You will gain almost nothing from shorties. You will gain a good amount from Long Tubes. If you are going to get headers, get long tubes. Nothing else is worth the money.
I think that mid length's are not far behind long tubes, behind yes, but not much. I picked up .2 in the 1/4 with mine.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I see everyone is saying you won't pass emissions, you need a new mid-pipe cause the stock won't fit (I already have an aftermarket one), and a tune. Well I live in Delaware and they don't check your car they only do an OBDII plug in for emissions and yes I have a tune and I can get it re-tuned for free and I will pass inspection cause I know people who have its easy in this state.

My next question is that my Mac off-road H is a two peice mid pipe and can be takin apart to allow for Mac long tubes (so I don't have to buy a new mid-pipe). Are Mac long tubes any good? What brands does anyone recommend?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i'm glad i did long tubes[sm=signs007.gif]

Quick Reply: Are long tubes worth it?