4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS

Spent time waiting for a prescription at the local grocer yesterday and started to read MM&FF and they had an article on the intake. Total power increase was only 2 hp but in the mid range the power was up around 10hp and torque was up 20lbs/ft. The reviews on this site are not very positive concerning this manifold and my question is why? Like anyone else I would like higher numbers but when a $300. TB & plenum adds practically nothing yet they are popular mkods what is it with the intake? Has anyone here ran one on the dyno and gotten poorer numbers? It seems as though 10HP and 20lbs of torque should make a difference that should be felt. The only thing I did not like is they stopped the test at 5400rpm's where the stock manifold started to make more power than the typhoon, only 2hp but I redline ay 6000 so I wonder what the typhoon does at higher rpm's. With shorter runners and larger ports I would expext more power up top. What's up with the general consensus of this piece? Thanks, Mark
PS: What would be an alternative besides something like a $1000.+ P51? Any thing out yet on the BBK?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS

Sweet - there are several people on several boards that have also done write ups on this particular manifold. A lot of negative things is the shoddy craftsman ship of the thing. I have seen people lose power with it via dyno, the tb/plenums do pick up 6-8hp on the bottom end... the power these things do make is up around 5200rpms, which your motor stops making power at around 5500... This $500, part has shown on dynos for s/c gt's not really any power. From what i have heard the P51 is the only way to go.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Thanks Eric. I understand the mags need their customer base, the manufacturers and advertisers, so they may tend to lean towards positive results. The difference in this test were the mid range results with the 10HP and torque of 20lbs/ft at 3000 rpm's. That sounds significant. I've spent a lot to gain a little so if I do an manifold I need to get results comparable to what I spend. I'm also working with a 281 NA c.i. motor. A friend with a 440 Chrysler was told the Edelbrock RPM manifold would give him .25 and that was right in the money. Tough to find that much with the smaller motor. The car goes into winter storage this week so I have all winter to try to find a few tenths. The same friend has a '65 Chrysler 300L with a 413 that can do 13.65 and quicker 0-60moh times than my lighter Stang and I would like to catch up without going radical with drag like suspension work. The suspension work would also habve to enhance overall handling and I believe control arms will do both but narrowing down to what brand works is the next part! Maybe the BBK will offer power at a reasonable price if it ever comes to be. Thanks, mark
Old 10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

your welcome man... i'd just hate to see you spend money on parts that aren't very good... lol... Pro Products has had a rep of bad craftamanship from thier tb/plenums to now this... it is what it is. I would sink some money into suspension, because with your mods, you should be up there right with him, good suspension will cut your 60" by upo to .4 depending on what you've run with it before, just LCA helped me run a 2.0x 60" instead of my stupid azz with a 2.2x 60" - and my friend with the same ones went from a 2.0x 60" to a 1.90 60" - even with your fat azz convert [8D] I think it'd be really beneficial - especially if you don't want to really go into the motor...
Old 10-24-2006, 12:33 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

I read that article. They also said their car was used extensively for road racing so if they replaced the valve springs they would likely see higher numbers up top.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

I always take those articles in mags as entertainment and look for real people in real world situations to test and report info and several have and not one has had a positive thing to say about that intake. The actual intake is poorly made and several have had to make adjustments just to install it. The guys over at Modular Powerhouse installed one and it leaked coolant through a pin hole because the casting is that bad. They posted pics of it. Also several have posted before and after dyno results with none actually gaining any HP but losing it. If you are just wanting to replace your lower intake i'd suggest the HPS Intake. Or waiting for the Trick Flow 2V intake this spring.

http://www.hiperformancesolutions.com/index2.html

Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

I think that i will probably get it. You pay 450 for tb+plenum and get maybe 5 hp. You pay 650 for the typhoon or other intake but you also get a little more bang for the buck with other upgrades like tb+plenum, s/c, t/c and other things like that since it it better flowing. Don't knock it until someone tries it. on the 5.0 liter mustang you were paying like 500 to 600 for the manifold and didn't get much, but it still looks good.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Typhoon = waste of money
Old 10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Good info. I can wait until spring to see what the Summit does but where can I get info on the HPS mentioned? Thanks, mark
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Good info. I can wait until spring to see what the Summit does but where can I get info on the HPS mentioned? Thanks, mark
click the link in post 6 for hps

Quick Reply: TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS