4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT

Okay, these really didn't come out as good as I had though/hoped they would. The sound is right after it turns over, it doesn't really sound like something rattling necessarily, that's just the best thing I could think of to describe it. With my dad out there he agreed that it wasn't a sound he had heard before, and between us we decided that it's definitely coming from lower because it's louder from underneath, and it did it every time we tried, about 5 times. So it seems like it IS something that's cold related because I don't remember it doing it until this latest colder weather, and it wont do it unless it's been sitting overnight. Now I'm starting to question whether or not it really did do the same sound at WOT or if I was imagining things. For now I'd throw out that part of the equation and focus on the start up.

Anyway, here are the clips, the first one is from the first startup of the morning, from inside the car, with the doors closed and windows up. The sound is at 3 seconds, right after the engine slows from startup. Honestly I don't know how much these clips will help because from this first clip it just sound like a spring creaking or something. The second sound clip is with the window open and holding it (the phone recording) out the window to get the sound more from the outside. Just be warned that this clip is louder because it's outside. I know everyone in the entire office heard my car start because I didn't realize how much louder it was after I had turned it up for the first clip.

I guess those are the only two clips I'll upload, the others are from underneath where the exhaust is too loud, or inside without letting the chime sound stop, so that's all you hear.

First Clip, inside car, doors closed, windows up, first start of the day: http://www.ajerman.com/car/inside.wav
Second Clip, from just outside drivers side window, Warning! This one is louder, turn down your speakers/headphones: http://www.ajerman.com/car/outside.wav

The only guess we could come up with that made any sense was maybe the starter not disengaging immediately, or just going bad in general? It sounds like it's coming from the right area to be the starter. From inside it sounds like it's low, but in front of me, if I had to point to where it was coming from I'd point to behind the shifter. If I'm not mistaken that's exactly where the starter is correct? (Read it in a few threads about dropping the transmission but never seen it)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:05 PM
red mustang gt 46

Piston slap? Until the car warms up? My car has done that from day one...just a thought.

Known issue with first and second generation 4.6's...

With the tri-ax installed, your going to hear alot more from the transmission also...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Sure sounds like piston slap to me. A starter that isn't disengaging properly will make more of a horrific GRINDING noise, from experience.

Get someone to start the car while you have a Mechanics Steth/Ears on a valve cover, do it on both sides. Try to pin point the noise.

Judging from your soundclips, which is just a horrible way to try diagnosing the problem & taking our information to heart - it sounds like a horrible case of piston slap. My 02 GT had it really bad, sounded eerily similar to yours and on rare occasions I could hear it in gear - I got a new shortblock from Ford after about 5,000 miles...

You have a Windsor built engine, from 98-01 they were NOTORIOUS for piston slap, however most piston slap cases ended up in the F-150's than Mustangs.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: red mustang gt 46

Piston slap? Until the car warms up? My car has done that from day one...just a thought.

Known issue with first and second generation 4.6's...

With the tri-ax installed, your going to hear alot more from the transmission also...

EARLY Romeo 4.6's were known to have the problem. But 03/04 Romeo GT's have pretty much been piston slap free.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
red mustang gt 46

Sorry didn't notice the WOT part...did this just start happening after you installed something?

By the way...heres some information about it, credit to F150online. I had it in my F150 long ago...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...&threadid=8747

Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

mine used to do this. make sure you are running 5w-20.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I don't think you're hearing the sound I'm talking about. It's not a knocking sound and not until it warms up, it's just a quick sound for a second that you can hear right after it starts up that almost sounds like I start the car then get up making a spring creak or something. It's really hard to explain because I honestly haven't heard anything like it before. It's also definitely louder from below than from above with the hood open.

I don't know, it's hard to explain, like you said, these sound clips certainly aren't the best way to diagnose, just figured I'd throw up the best I had and see if anyone knew what it was. Otherwise I'm going to have to look more myself to figure this out. It's hard though since it doesn't keep doing it to figure out exactly where it is, you have to start the car to hear it, and only after it's been sitting overnight and is cold.

The only thing that I can think that coincides with this "just happening" is the cold. We've just recently had a few days of overnight temperatures being around freezing. The only mods I've done are listed in my sig, JLT RAI and a Tri-Ax, neither of which would have any affect or make a sound like this. It's hard to hear on the recording but you can hear it, just listen for right around the time the engine is reaching idle speed after slowing down from starting and there is a noise that you can tell shouldn't be there.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 PM
whty98
1st Gear Member

I used to have the start up problem, but then I changed my clutch (due to TO bearing) and also replaced the starter. Some of the teeth on the gear of the starter were messed up but my flywheel was fine.[&:]

I do also have the same noise while at WOT. It only happens in 3rd and 4th it seems like and only around 3500-4300 RPM. It sounds like pennies in a can for that brief period of time. I heard it a year ago, then it just went away (because I didn't drive hard after that) and the other day it was back. Don't know if it's the same think but any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:29 AM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

I've always considered it a clatter, but does the name of the sound really matter? My 97GT has done it on cold starts since 99 and I've never met anyone that had a clue. It's never happened at WOT, just the cold starts. Fix = new engine? [&:]
Old 10-27-2006, 03:00 AM
BlOwNsNaKe
3rd Gear Member

Not sure but it could be the crush sleeve in the rear end. With certain RPM's the drive shaft is able to move in and out of the rear end whenever the crush sleeve is wore out and that can cause the noise you are hearing, Just throwing that out there

Quick Reply: Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT