4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 dohc interference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 dohc interference?

ORIGINAL: BraMas

Mike I hate you because you do know what 4G63 is
I guess it's gonna take alittle time to get all the Rice out of your blood. We'll keep working on ya.
ORIGINAL: sxynerd

I Like you for knowing what a 4G63 is!!!!

91 GSX 12's mostly stock!!

Mike
Vega like stated above Timing CHAIN breaks are rare. So nothing you need to worry about.
I don't want the rice out! haha... I agree these import-tuner cars are only novelties.

...But it's a 12 second novelty!

Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 09:11 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vega

4.6 romeo? is that all the 4.6 dohc motors? or one out of a car that i never heard of????????

well here, to make it easier or less difficutl to understand- lets focus on the specific 4.6 dohc- this is the one that i found and am getting-

1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 280 hp (209 kW) and 285 ft·lbf (386 N·m) THAT ONE-
---------------
1. so is only the lsc the HO motor?

2. is this specific motor an interfierence motor?

3. if so what is the pistons compression at? is it very high? like 10:5.1? how low would i have to lower the compression on the pistons to make it not an interference motor?

4. i know the 03' - 04' forged pistons are 8:5.1 compressionm, is there a fairy inexepensive or good deal out htere with this kidnof setup for forged pistons out there links please.
-----------
you guys ever here of koenisegg btw? on a side topic.

Without trying to sound rude,

http://www.google.com/

is the link you need.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:46 PM
vega

thanx - so the chains on these are that hard t break huh? lets say i am puting 800hp to the wheels of a rwd vehicle. still not many problems?

and lastly then- this one i could not find on google btw- i don't know why but i thought i could not find the others on google but ended up doing so- sorry about that-

which harness for the dohc 4,6 has an eprom (or if you know this instead- a 24 bit chip) so i cna just program it to tune it that way rather than using a piggy back (btw i am refering to build a turbo 4.6) or a complete custom new harness. check out pgmfi.org - i would be using a moates setup.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:01 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

There are several 4.6 cars with 800 rwhp (not on this site!) and I've never read anything about chains breaking on any 4.6 - ever. I read most every post on this site and have never heard of a timing chain acting up or breaking. Ford actually seems to have a good design on this one.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
vega

here is another thing i am slightly confused about according to this article all dohc 4.6 an dohc 5.4 had forged pistons and not forged rods...

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...ap/index2.html

"The 4.6 and 5.4 DOHC engines run domed forged pistons for increased compression in the four-valve chamber. Ford opted for forged pistons to withstand the pressure extremes associated with this high-performance engine. Like the hypereutectic pistons in the SOHC, these pistons also employ Teflon-coated skirts for reduced friction and heat protection. The ring package is virtually the same."

i htought it was only the 03-04' sc stangs that had forged pistons.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:10 AM
vega

that makes me happy that the chain won't break - i come from dsms and oldsmobiles- yeah completely different..... but the 4g63 was plagued with the timing belt problem. an me likes turbos.....
Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
vega

so does no one know if all the 4.6 is trully forged pistons- to verifiy that website i posted?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Romeo piston is a press-fit-type hypereutectic with a dished crown.
They are just hypereutectic, not forged. The only pistons to be forged are in the supercharged motors, with the exception being the 5.4L Cobra R motor (2000 only). The DOHC motors (Mach 1's and Cobras) all have forged crankshafts... the only exception to this is the Mach 1 with an AUTOMATIC transmission... the 5-speeds still have a forged crank, the autos have a cast crank. The pistons have never been the weak point, the crankshaft has never really been the weak point either... the biggest problem for the mod motor is the connecting rods, if Ford did forged pistons and connecting rods, and kept a cast crank, we could probably expect to see a "safe rating" of 550-600 HP instead of the 450 that the powdered metal rods have. The supercharged motors are also the only ones to have forged connecting rods, really, the powdered metal connecting rods are the weak link.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FastLane034

Romeo piston is a press-fit-type hypereutectic with a dished crown.
They are just hypereutectic, not forged. The only pistons to be forged are in the supercharged motors, with the exception being the 5.4L Cobra R motor (2000 only). The DOHC motors (Mach 1's and Cobras) all have forged crankshafts... the only exception to this is the Mach 1 with an AUTOMATIC transmission... the 5-speeds still have a forged crank, the autos have a cast crank. The pistons have never been the weak point, the crankshaft has never really been the weak point either... the biggest problem for the mod motor is the connecting rods, if Ford did forged pistons and connecting rods, and kept a cast crank, we could probably expect to see a "safe rating" of 550-600 HP instead of the 450 that the powdered metal rods have. The supercharged motors are also the only ones to have forged connecting rods, really, the powdered metal connecting rods are the weak link.
Apparently FastLane didn't log out of my PC after he got done using it... I figured I was still logged in. The above post was by me.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
vega

thank you that helps alot- so then - if i were to replace just the rods- what would the motor good be to?

Quick Reply: 4.6 dohc interference?